Yet another Potterton Suprima problem!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have done many searches on this subject & none of the very well documented symptoms of a failing PCB seem to match the sypmtoms I seem to be getting, this could be a long one so please stick with me!

I have a Suprima 40 with a Gledhill Boiler mate 3. I had not used the system for heat for some months & prior to this happening I have had the odd lockout(maybe once every couple of months) When I decided mornings were too cold we set the timer etc. I was woken at 5am to the sound of the boiler constantly lighting(lasted about 2 seconds) then going out, re lighting, going out, etc, etc. After some playing around, power off and back on etc I noticed this did not happen when the heating was turned off & the water was being heated also a clicking noise could be heard coming from the boiler mate which seemed to conincide with the boiler switching on and off. Stuck my head in the cupbaord and narrowed it down to a valve which looks like it switches from hot water to heat?? (i'm no plumber) I fiddled with it :rolleyes: There is a lever on the side which I moved from left to right which seemed to stop the clicking & boiler sillyness & restored heat. Now when either the room thermostat has reached the required temp, or if the heating is off the boiler will fire up every 5 mins(i timed it :rolleyes: ) for between 1 & 2 mins, the red temp light on the boiler comes on, boiler goes out & the green light flashes slowly, call for heat?

I have plenty of hot water and the heating now works but I am unable to leave the boiler on over night as the constant starting up and stopping of the boiler keeps us awake :(

I know its the $64k question but does anyone have any ideas? PCB? or somthing else? or PCB + loads of other bit & bobs thats going to cost me a fortune :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a control fault.

The obvious test is to measure the voltage at the boiler's call for heat contact and see if that is going on/off as I expect.

Tony

@Matt: You could also try to unscrew the frontpanel on the boilermate and then using the manual, check the settings or if the control displays underneath show any error. But be carefull when doing this as you will operate directly on the printed circuit board which isn't really isolated that good. If any doubts get a professional in.
Got a Boilermate III as well and it's better not touched if it is working.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back