Yet another room thermastat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to ask if its possible to replace my existing room thermastat with a newer remote style?

I've got a 70s style Honeywell with 42000 4879-001 marked on the inside. I was hoping something a remote version like this was compatible, or this

I've been looking on the wiki and found some articles around wiring but I'm not confident in doing it myself so I wondered; should I ask an electrician or a plumber to do this for me? What should I expect to be charged?

I've got three wires going into the back (as shown below), (silly question but...) is this a two wire stat (ie, we dont count the earth?) or three wire? Does it make a difference?

Thanks for any tips.

All the best

ps, perhaps I should mention its wired up as per the diagram as far as I can tell. Blue goes into '2', earth into '3' and Brown into '1'. ta

Sponsored Links
Hello again,

Just to check then, I bought a thermastat ready to install, it has L and N connections as well as a L1, LX, and L2 which it describes as voltless connections.

Here's the manual with wiring diagrams http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89164...trols/Siemens-RDH10RF-SET-GB-Room-Thermostat#

There doesn't seem to be an earth connection so in my install I'd expect the earth to be blanked off? If its a matter of just connecting L and N, I figured I could do that but I want to be sure its wired correctly. Any general advice?

Sponsored Links
You cannot use the earth for anything other than earth (like the previous installer has).

Sorry, has the previous installer wired up the earth as earth, correctly or is he using it as some kind of switch wire? I wasn't sure from your comment...

Its wired incorrectly, the green/yellow (earth) has been used as a live conductor. It needs to be changed at the other end of the cable (at the boiler, or airing cupboard).

Groan... Nightmare, I'm not going anywhere near the box in the airing cupboard, there's like a million wires :)

I hope I bought the right replacement one then!

Thanks

Ps, should it have been sleved or just swapped for another colour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back