Confused about central heating wiring with no room stat wired in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had our Worcester Bosch 24Ri boiler moved out of the kitchen into the utility room. It was connected to a British Gas programmer model UP 2, with a remote thermostat and a WT wireless receiver (next to the hot water tank), wired up to the wiring loom (photo attached). The engineer who moved it doesn't do the electrics and I'm waiting for his electrician to get back to me.

To move the boiler its 5 core cable was snipped: live, neutral, earth plus a black and grey.
I believe its a y-plan system, and on the programmer plate 1,3 and 4 were connected.

The wireless receiver, which is above the wiring loom, has 4 cables which come into the loom to these numbers
Brown - 1 (Live)
Black - 2 (Neutral)
Grey - 4 (opposite programmer heating on)
Earth - 5 (opposite the valve white)

I'll try and explain how the loom's wired up, apologies for the basic-ness and wrong terminology.

WT = Wireless Thermostat (edited to add I mean receiver here!)
HP = Heater pump
D = Diverter
B = Boiler
TT = Tank thermostat
MP = Mains power

1 - WT, B, MP Live
2 - HP, D, B, WT, MP Neutral
3 - HP, D, B, MP Earth
4 - WT Grey + Prog heating on
5 - D white and WT Earth (green/yellow)
6 - TT Blue + Prog HW on
7 - D Grey, TT Brown and HW off
8 - TT sheathed earth(?), D orange bridged to 9 - B grey
10 - HP brown and B black

The new thermostat (a Hive) doesn't transmit to the BT wireless receiver, and all the wiring plans I see all show a room stat in them however I won't have one wired in. Of course there's a room stat but that only talks to the received which is by the boiler and wired up to the loom.

So how do you wire the loom without room stat coming directly into it? Should I now use all 4 connections on the backing plate, previously 2 (heating off wasn't used)? If so what does that wire into?

I've searched high and low for a diagram without a room stat but I can't find one. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Attachments

• 20160726_130926.jpg
    20160726_130926.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The Hive receiver will just go onto the same back plate that the UP2 programmer was on.
You don't need a connection to number 2.
The wireless receiver should be completely disconnected and a link put in between terminals 4 and 5.

May I suggest you wait for the electrican to come over and let him do it.

Electric forum may help.

Daniel.

Why do you say the hive does not transmit to the reciever ? is it plugged in ?

Sponsored Links
Hi John

Thanks. The boiler's been moved and so is closer to the wiring loom (in the airing cupboard above) and as we have to re-cable the boiler to the pump switch we're going to move the back plate too.

Mark

Firstly, apologies it is of course a wireless receiver (from the room stat) next to the loom, not a wireless transmitter. Doh! Thanks for the comments so far.

You don't need a connection to number 2.
Which connection don't I need? There's 4 going in there (after I've removed the Wireless Receiver)

May I suggest you wait for the electrican to come over and let him do it.

I seem to be waiting rather a long time for any sort of contact so in the meantime I thought I would have a look around.

Why do you say the hive does not transmit to the reciever ? is it plugged in ?

I mean the Hive doesn't transmit to the old BT receiver that's by the loom, that talks to the old BT room stat.

There is a Hive receiver, that's next to the boiler and will be attached to the backing plate that's wired to the loom.

You don't need a connection to number 2 on the Hive receiver (heating off)
Just completely disconnect all the wires going to the old room stat receiver and put a link in between terminals 4 and 5 in you wiring "loom" (or centre as we call it)

The hive needs a new wireless receiver which replaces your UP2.

Wireless stat receiver WR1? Gets totally removed. White wire from MPV goes to 4 on back plate.

Obviously all this want to be done by a qualified person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back