Wireless room stat / receiver query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just a quick question:

With a wireless room stat, (used mainly with combi's but even with a traditional o/v system) - how are they wired up (the receiver i mean)!! :)

Do they need a permanent live similar to a prog room stat.... or can they be wired via a programmer??

Am just curious. I know they are expensive though.

A prog room stat takes a perm live and comes on at set times independent of the programmer, but wonder how wireless room stats work??

Sponsored Links
Normally perm line, neutral and pair of switch wires.
Depends on boiler.
Some have mains voltage switching others are volt free or 24v.
So need to check boiler specs.

thanks for replying mrgas - my boiler is an old potterton flamingo II, o/v system - it currently has a switched L, N and E from it to the wiring centre. (which is the most common for older o/v system boilers i believe)

If i were to replace my normal room stat for a wireless type, would it need much doing? (although it would prob not be worth doing)...

Why do you want to change a wired stat for a wireless one?

Sponsored Links
Was thinking there may be some advantages to it? ....

ANyhow it'smore for my new house ... It has a combi WORECSTER make and has no room stat, just an older timeclock downstairs in the kitchen. The boiler is upstairs in the airing cupboard in the bathroom.

I was thinking of adding a wireless room stat as it would be easier than running wires down through the floor etc..?? And as no room stat is xurrently there it would also be more efficient.

I do not know what make combi it is yet, :oops: (will on friday though) but know it is a sealed system, but not a condensing type) About 7-8 years old.

there is an advantage to having a programmable roomstat fitted. You can set differnt temperatures for different times of day. The best option is a wired version. If no wiring is in place from an existing roomstat a wireless one may be favorable. Needs to be wired according to boilers switched wiring needs.

i agree, a prog room stat is better if wiring is in place as you can alter it slightly - but my new house has no wiring for a room stat!

I will check the boiler manual on fri and ask for help then (if you want to help me?)!! :cry:

I am guessing :oops: that a combi boiler will have a L N and E from it to the original programmer - and if i replace the programmer with a receiver, it should be easy enough to work out??

Always willing to help, time permitting.
Post with details and if im not there someonrelse will be.
Maybe someone who can type!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back