yet more ravenheat CSI 85 issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new PCB installed on my Ravenheat CSI 85 (installed by Ravenheat) and the boiler worked fine for an amazing 3 weeks. Now it won't light yet again. I can get it to light by first sucking on the APS tube then blowing gently across the pipe. Stop blowing, boiler goes out. Tried this several times then I kept my finger over the end of the pipe and it remained working for about 10 minutes. So this works with low pressure blowing and works longer when pipe is blocked.
I thought that the APS needed a constant air flow to operate! Does this indicate a knackered APS?

Sponsored Links
Does this indicate a knackered APS?
If its a metal honeywell one then it probably does as these tend to stick.

There is other stuff to check so I cant guarantee this is your problem however it is most likely.

If Ravenheat were there 3 weeks ago then you should be able to get them back as I would expect some sort of guarantee on the repair.

If its a metal honeywell one and made in China then it probably does as these tend to stick.

its a plastic one

There is other stuff to check so I cant guarantee this is your problem however it is most likely.

such as?

If Ravenheat were there 3 weeks ago then you should be able to get them back as I would expect some sort of guarantee on the repair.[/quote]

Getting them back may be an issue as the repair they made was 6 days inside the warranty period, now its expired

You have either used the wrong words or dont understand how an APS works.

It is "blocked" and does not allow any air to flow through it ( unless its damaged by blowing too hard ).

An APS switches as a result of a VERY low pressure of about 1 mB and you get that by blowing TOWARDS the tube NOT into it!

It sounds as if either the APS is damaged or the venturi that drives it is faulty. If you can measure pressure than the professional method is to measure the pressure from the venturi and compare that with the operating pressure of the APS.

Its easy to test the electrical switch in the APS. I find the plastic ones very unreliable.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
You have either used the wrong words or dont understand how an APS works.

With Bernoulli's principle in mind, you suggest that the restriction nessesary to create the partial vacuum is actually blocked and so creates a choked flow which of course has a limiting effect on the venturi effect.
In this case it could be blocked as opposed to being restricted. So if its blocked it would not work, it has to be restricted (make sence?)

It is "blocked" and does not allow any air to flow through it ( unless its damaged by blowing too hard ).

Always blow across the opening

An APS switches as a result of a VERY low pressure of about 1 mB and you get that by blowing TOWARDS the tube NOT into it!

It sounds as if either the APS is damaged or the venturi that drives it is faulty. If you can measure pressure than the professional method is to measure the pressure from the venturi and compare that with the operating pressure of the APS.

In the case of a single, sealed unit, this would be one and the same right?

Its easy to test the electrical switch in the APS. I find the plastic ones very unreliable.

Tony

Getting them back may be an issue as the repair they made was 6 days inside the warranty period, now its expired
Ring up and say that this problem appeared within a few days of the repair that they carried out. You have nothing to lose by asking them. It's possible that the guy who replaced it didnt check why the PCB had blown.

Here's something of interest from the
Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 Fact Sheet

Q8. The supplier says the guarantee has expired and he has no obligation to deal with the problem. Is he right?
A guarantee cannot exonerate the supplier from his statutory obligations and so the fact that one has been given and has expired is irrelevant to his obligations to the consumer.

It also states

Any goods supplied in the course of the service must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose. If they are not the consumer is entitled to a repair, replacement or compensation.

Here is another bit that you may find helpful
If the buyer returns the goods as not conforming to contract, and asks for his money back within a reasonable time, he may decide/be persuaded to let the retailer make an attempt at repair. After he had given the retailer a reasonable time to complete this,
with no success, he could fall back on requiring the return of the price paid. This might be because the repair was not carried out promptly enough or because it was not repaired to an adequate standard.

I'm not trying to get you to set a legal precedent here but the fact that the problem has arisen within 3 weeks of a repair should help you to get them back to sort the problem out. We are working on the edge of the above legislation but a polite yet assertive phone call could yield results. As an ISO 9001 company consumer support should be high on their agenda.

Did the Ravenheat guy do anything else while he was there, such as alter the restrictor ring? They should be at 90º to the flue bend according to Ravenheat. I altered one so that it was last week and got a call 4 days later and ended up putting it back how it was! Lesson learnt.

Take the red tube off at the APS end and blow hard through it. This should clear any blockage in the pipe or venturi.
Although the white pipe is short; a blockage or kink here can also affect things. Keep the end of this pipe away from the flue so that it can detect the different pressure.
Is your fan turning freely? Is it noisy - buzzing or rattly?
What is the resistance across its terminals?
Are the fan wires ok?
Are the plugs pushed on to the board properly and making a good connection?
Is your flue intact and unblocked?
Simply altering the restrictor ring to the place where it works could be the answer to your problem.

The APS lets the PCB know that the fan is working and that there is adequate flow of air through the boiler so that the ignition process can continue.

I kept my finger over the end of the pipe and it remained working for about 10 minutes.

Your APS could still be sticky but this proves that the diaphragm is intact. So long as this wasn't a fluke you have discovered the symptom and the cause isn't too far away.

BTW if you do try a repair meanwhile and do something wrong then you could lose your rights to redress under the law.

Turned out to be water had managed to get down the flue and was collected in the flue ring. Dried it out, working again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back