You can't engineer human nature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...thick-kids-do-better-at-school-says-Gove.html

So it goes to show, even if by some fluke, the lower classes have smart children, their own bone idleness and refusal to support their children stunt their potential.

I'm sure many will read the title and assume it is because the rich people are cheating some how but I bet it is just that they teach and talk to their children instead of stuffing their faces with crisps and putting them in front of the tv.

Sponsored Links
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...thick-kids-do-better-at-school-says-Gove.html

So it goes to show, even if by some fluke, the lower classes have smart children, their own bone idleness and refusal to support their children stunt their potential.

I'm sure many will read the title and assume it is because the rich people are cheating some how but I bet it is just that they teach and talk to their children instead of stuffing their faces with crisps and putting them in front of the tv.

Or leaving them to the Nanny, boarding school, etc

So many holes in that report it's hard to know where to begin. But here's one that seems patently obvious - rich kids tend to end up in schools where there isn't so much mucking about and disruptive behaviour. Therefore they end up hearing more "subject" related content.

Or, how about rich kids tend not to be dumped in front of TV for hours on end - instead they tend to do other things which involves social interaction and therefore have to think while they speak, and have a repertoire of experiences to draw from.

Or how about rich kids tend to have parents who will push them, and have sufficient financial ability to pay for private tutors.

Or how about the curriculum is basically designed by rich people for rich kids to succeed.

Here's a wild fact - the mean number of reading books per house across the UK is less than 2 :confused:

Here's a wild fact - the mean number of reading books per house across the UK is less than 2

That means no one else in our road has any as they are all in my house! :eek:

(Sitting back now to see how long it takes, ;) )

Sponsored Links
Here's a wild fact - the mean number of reading books per house across the UK is less than 2

That means no one else in our road has any as they are all in my house! :eek:

(Sitting back now to see how long it takes, ;) )
OK I'll do it...... You nicked them didn't you?

I prefer the term;

'Re-Allocation of available resources.' :LOL:

Who said anything about 'breaking' or entry?
I just happen to come across them on my meandering travels. :LOL:

....and your dad was a diesel fitter on the docks?

Dieselfit our mam

Dieselfit our conny.... ;)

I worked in a college, and the tutors were always saying to me, enter this course, you are a gauranteed pass, and onto Uni..

The tutors were bringing me things that they were unable to repair, THEY are apparently the experts?

But what transpires was that Uni/college lecturers had a background of education. They knew the theory, and logic of a fault, but was unable to connect to the actual fault, and how it happened with their long mathematics solutions.

A don once told me, it's OK to hand a soldering iron to a tutor, but if the pupil only knows the math behind it, then it is useless in his hand.

So the 'workers' know how to 'fix' the crap that the 'uni' bred; and as the uni bred weren't that good, that's why the workers exist to fix and repair.

I ddin't blag my exam results - I worked for them, so someone with a fancy Uni pass can't do what I can, where they had a nod nod wink wink...but have NO idea what they are going on about. Uni person, knows the math, but no idea how to solder, how to diagnose a fault.

The bottom line is: If you let two pigs breed - you'll end up with a large litter of piglets. And so it goes.
Are you talking genetically or the tribal nature of any social class.

Not sure that the "upper" classes would be to happy with your description of them as porcine. Feline, of the obese variety, maybe ;)

So you can fix the problem with a soldering iron that the graduate can't.

But the graduate who knows the maths can design the product that you subsequently fix.

Point being, we need both.

I worked in a college, and the tutors were always saying to me, enter this course, you are a gauranteed pass, and onto Uni..

The tutors were bringing me things that they were unable to repair, THEY are apparently the experts?

But what transpires was that Uni/college lecturers had a background of education. They knew the theory, and logic of a fault, but was unable to connect to the actual fault, and how it happened with their long mathematics solutions.

A don once told me, it's OK to hand a soldering iron to a tutor, but if the pupil only knows the math behind it, then it is useless in his hand.

So the 'workers' know how to 'fix' the crap that the 'uni' bred; and as the uni bred weren't that good, that's why the workers exist to fix and repair.

I ddin't blag my exam results - I worked for them, so someone with a fancy Uni pass can't do what I can, where they had a nod nod wink wink...but have NO idea what they are going on about. Uni person, knows the math, but no idea how to solder, how to diagnose a fault.

Sponsored Links
Back