Zanussi ZWF 10070W washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above washing machine, just over four years old. Appeared to working ok until it suddenly went dead. After a visit from repair man who diagnosed a board fault I tracked the real fault to the fused switch in which the negative was intermittently breaking. This I fixed and the machine seemingly worked fine again. Now, after going through the wash cycle 45 mins to 1 hour in it stops and tries to spin full of water which results in the water being shot out of the dispenser drawer. Any suggestions as to what the fault could be anyone?

Sponsored Links
Most likely reason is the motor tacho which is on the front end of the motor is becoming o/c when its hot. you can find out if the motors faulty by selecting drain then start machine now press and hold in both the start/pause button and the button to the left of it together if yours has a time display then an E50 error will appear most likely being E54 or E52 if no display then the start pause button will flash red 5 times and then green say twice this would indicate E52 and so on (E50 codes all relate to the motor) any other let me know

Most likely reason is the motor tacho which is on the front end of the motor is becoming o/c when its hot. you can find out if the motors faulty by selecting drain then start machine now press and hold in both the start/pause button and the button to the left of it together if yours has a time display then an E50 error will appear most likely being E54 or E52 if no display then the start pause button will flash red 5 times and then green say twice this would indicate E52 and so on (E50 codes all relate to the motor) any other let me know
Thanks for the reply. The w/m is at my daughter's so will check asap and get back to you.

Hi Captain. Ok, I checked daughter's w/m today. I had no luck producing error code with your system of selecting drain etc but managed to get a result by following another post's instructions which was to turn machine off, hold the two buttons and move selector to position 1 (95c) and release after 4 seconds then turn selector to position 10. The result was 5 reds and 2 greens. Any advice as to what to do now would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Doing it that way enters it into engineers mode and if you are not careful you create a problem hence why I showed you the other way however now that you have its giving you as I suspected E52 motor fault so it does look like the tacho on the motor is at fault . It is possible to replace the tacho without replacing the entire motor though . You local independant repair shop should be able to supply a tacho kit (Electrolux/Zanussi wont though) . To exit engineer mode turn main dial to off then to cottons 95 degrees then back to off

Doing it that way enters it into engineers mode and if you are not careful you create a problem hence why I showed you the other way however now that you have its giving you as I suspected E52 motor fault so it does look like the tacho on the motor is at fault . It is possible to replace the tacho without replacing the entire motor though . You local independant repair shop should be able to supply a tacho kit (Electrolux/Zanussi wont though) . To exit engineer mode turn main dial to off then to cottons 95 degrees then back to off

Thanks for that, I shall try to track the item down although we have no 'local' repair shops here any more so may well be an internet job. I assume if I press both buttons that will clear all memory and if I turn dial to off and then 95 degrees do I have top press start at any stage?

your right but no need to to press start at the end just back to off then its back in user mode

The search is now on. Am I right in saying it's called a tacho generator? If you have any idea where I can get this on line it would be appreciated. Does it have to Zanussi specific? Although I imagine you can't be absolutely certain this is the fault, is it a very good bet that this will cure the fault as I guess the part (if I find it) won't come cheap?! I have read also that I may be able to refit the tacho - possible do you think? And, lastly, is it easily accessible? Thanks for your help so far.

Yes its called a tacho generator . Partmaster.co.uk stock tachos.Its the round part at the end of the motor and yes they are only clipped in and can become loose so check first.

Yes its called a tacho generator . Partmaster.co.uk stock tachos.Its the round part at the end of the motor and yes they are only clipped in and can become loose so check first.

I had another go at the w/m today. The tacho is firm and I can see no way of getting it free from the motor. I couldn't even manage to get test probe on any wires to check resistance and output unless I start stripping wires back. Is it possible that I will have to change the whole motor just to do fix this fault do you think? One thing I forgot to mention is when the machine is going through the wash cycle (45 mins or so in) it will suddenly go into a fast spin for a split second and then stop for around 5 mins and keep repeating the same thing until turned off. It is during this split second that the water occasionally shoots out of the dispenser drawer. By the way, I re checked model no and it's actually ZWF 12070W if that should make a difference. The board is Electrolux and shows no obvious signs of damage. Something tells me I could be looking at a new machine?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back