Zeus banking virus is back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Zeus, a virus that steals online banking details from infected computer users, is more powerful than ever, warns a web security company. Trusteer says it has spotted the Trojan virus in one of every 3,000 of the 5.5m computers it monitors in the US and UK.
Zeus 1.6 can infect people using Firefox and Internet Explorer web browsers, the company claims.
The malware steals login information by recording keystrokes when the infected user is on a list of target websites.
These websites are usually banks and other financial institutions.
The user's data is then sent to a remote server to be used and sold on by cyber-criminals.
"We expect this new version of Zeus to significantly increase fraud losses, since nearly 30% of internet users bank online with Firefox and the infection is growing faster than we have ever seen before," said Amit Klein, chief technology officer at Trusteer.
DIY virus
In March 2010, many parts of the command and control (C&C) system for the Zeus botnet were destroyed when the Kazakhstani ISP that was being used to administer it was cut off.
However, it does not take long for malware controllers to spring up elsewhere, and toolkits for assembling botnets are readily available on the black market.
"There are plenty of opportunities for people to purchase access to these systems through underground chat rooms," said Dr JD Marsters, from the department of electronics and computer science at the University of Southampton.
"It's a game of cat and mouse between anti-virus vendors and botnet developers."
Computer users should ensure that their anti-virus software and operating systems are kept up to date, he advised.

Sponsored Links
But doesn't everyone who has a computer connected to the internet have a virus checker installed which is up to date?

If not what is their excuse? There are plenty of free ones out there.

But doesn't everyone who has a computer connected to the internet have a virus checker installed which is up to date?

If not what is their excuse? There are plenty of free ones out there.

yes they probably do,but some virus, trojans do get through no matter how secure your computer is.

Sponsored Links
Zeus, a virus that steals online banking details from infected computer users, is more powerful than ever, warns a web security company. __________________
Then Don`t friggin bank online :rolleyes: . I don`t :LOL: I deal in cash ;) And pay some in @ the desk in the bank.:cool:

my bank login requires a number ( which is already entered via a cookie so no keystrokes there, but I suppose it's easy to get a cookie? )
then it requires a number generated from a pin number device that's not connected to the computer..

Back