Zinsser BIN novice- advice, please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're redecorating a heavy smoker's house, on a bit of a budget. I think every 16 year old who lights up their first fag should join us for a few weeks....

The ceiling is the issue (having stripped the walls back to bare lime-plaster!). With the walls, we used cheap B&Q white emulsion as a surface-sealer And, I must say to B&Q's credit, the stuff we used was actually easy to apply and far more opaque than we dared hope!- and top-coated with Valspar trade Mag. One coat was all it needed, looks really good!

The celings are lightly embossed, stippled 'wall-paper' over-painted many times, so has a sheen on it. It dates from pre-plasterboard, so no corner is quite square, no surface dead smooth, thus was artex and anaglypta invented! The ceilings are in good structural condition, but are yellowed with age and nicotine.

This is the plan: sugar soap the ceiling, paint it with BIN, then top-coat it with the finished colour.

My Question/s:

Is this plan sound?!
What colour does Zinsser BIN dry?
Is it a pig to apply?
Can you tint it?
What sort of paint can we top-coat it with (water or oil based)?

You apply BIN with a brush. Should you then use a brush for the top-coat?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A trade tip is to add a dash of PVA to your paint and it'll work as a very cheap and effective sealent.

Coat the ceiling with good old fashioned oil based undercoat, that will kill the stains ready for emulsion !

Sponsored Links
Shame you did the walls first, as any splashes from the ceiling may mean you need to re-coat your walls!

No! No! stay away from the pva! it's the spawn of the devil where paint is concerned :evil:

If you want to tint use Zinsser Bullseye 123 your trade supplier can tint it on their mixing machine, I had some done at Brewers to a Dulux colour it was a good match.

Oh and by the way, avoid pva! ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back