zone actuator problem/query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We have just moved house and the new house is 7 years old and has a boiler in the utility room for heating and to heat water for the hot water tank. This hot water is controlled by an Iflow (Drayton) Zone Valve Actuator ZA5 with snap off head.
Heres the problem/query
For the first few weeks of living here the boiler in the utility always seemed to be operating or in standby even when the heating and hot water were timed to be off. The high gas usage in the first month confirmed this!
Upon investigation I noted the boiler never turned off as the display should have show 0 when fully off. So I knew something was on and it wasnt the heating.
In the airing cupboard upstairs is the hot water tank a pripe comes up from the utility below into the cupboard through a pump and then tees off for what I presume is the heating one way and the other way goes into the ZVA and then into the hot water tank. The pump was always pumping.
There was a switch on the side of the ZVA which I pushed in and it seems to stop the ZVA operating and the boiler for the first time went to 0 on the display (off!!).
About a week later it started pumping again in the night. The following day I looked at it again an pushed the ZVA and noticed the plastic snap on body was a little loose. When I pushed the plastic romovable top onto the valve body so it sat snug on it the pump stopped pumping.
So my question - is the ZVA faulty or is it simply that when the body is loose or off the valve opens and the head sends a signal to the pump to, well pump! and therefore start the boiler running.
If so I may look at securing it down as the vibrations through the pipe when water is flowing maybe dis-lodging it,
Thanks
JB

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back