Zone heating control in extension --- Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having an extension where we go out above the garage and up into the loft - 2 new rooms.

I like the idea of heating zones, particularly if parts of the house are not used as much as others.

Zones were not specified in the quote, but we have not checked with BC yet.
I only want to use 2-port valves on roomthermostat for the garage room extension and a programmable thermostat for the loft extension with valves.
In the loft we will have 2 small radiators either end which pretty much will have their own feeding pipes off different ends of the house. So I will need to use 2 2-port valves to shut down both radiators from the CH.

Can I use 1 thermostat to control 2 2-port valves simultaneously?

What is the best electric supply for the thermostats / valves? Just tap into lighting or sockets?
The thermostats have 2 wire connections and the valves 5-wire connections.
The boiler is still just going to be controlled by the living room thermostat.

Sponsored Links
There are several options when it comes to zoning heating systems including zone valves, thermal actuators and manifolds, and several methods of control.
From your description I would lean towards wired thermal actuators to replace the TRV heads for each new radiator, each room would then have it's own thermostat, either programmable or standard with a common programmer. You could also upgrade the existing system with wireless actuators and stats at the same time.

You can control 2 valves with 1 thermostat, though I'm struggling to envisage an application where this would be the best solution.

Power for heating controls, inc the boiler really should be on it's own dedicated circuit, though on it's own fuse spur is perfectly acceptable. All controls need to be wired back to the boiler to provide proper interlock anyway, so power is easiest got from a common source to the boiler.

There are so many factors in design of a system like this that it's impossible to give definative advice without actually viewing the site and designing the system. I would suggest finding an installer who is experienced in these types of systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back