Zone valve -- 2 or 3 port / mid or divertor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My CH zone valve actuator gave up the ghost today... Getting a replacement tomorrow...

Whilst removing the dead actuator, I realised that my system has 2 x 2 port valves (1 for CH, 1 for HW) whereas in my last home an otherwise identical system had 1 3-port. Not a problem, just a realisation/observation...!

So my question is, what are the merits of 2 port valves vs 3 port valve ? (other than a 3 port can feed 2 things not just 1 .. I get that bit!)

As well as pure curiousity, there's a practical reason for the question as I'm hoping to zone the CH 3 floors of my home separately, as opposed to 1 zone fits-all (inefficiently). My assumption is that I'm best doing this with 3 x 2port valves (1 per floor) in parallel with a 4th one for the HW cylinder coil. (Wiring to activate valves providing the control)

Ta!

jpdw

Sponsored Links
2 port valves can have more zones, 3port only 2 zones; ch/dhw
3port advantage: 1 cable, 1 valve, no need for bypass

So if I'm splitting my heating into 3 zones, then it would be quite OK & straight forward to have 4 x 2 port valves.

All fed from the flow from the boiler&pump;
3 going 1 to each to a heating zone
1 going to the heat exchange coil in the HW tank

To me this seems simpler than using 3-port, where I presume I'd have a 3-port to direct flow to either HW or CH, then the CH side would split into 3 2 port valves to 'enable'/'disable' each heat zone.

The 4 x 2-port allows HW & CH together whereas 3x2p+1x3p looks like it would be HW OR CH not both at the same time?

Having just had 24hrs without heating thanks to an old valve dying, I like the idea of having all valves the same (ie 4x 2port) - I can have 1 spare replacement actuator that would suit any of them.

Does this make sense or am I missing some important consideration?

Sponsored Links
am I missing some important consideration?
What is the power output of the boiler? Can it cope when all 4 zones are calling for heat?
It currently does - though not really very well - we ensure the timer is setup so that CH & HW do not overlap). HOWEVER, the zoning will be done when we get a new (slightly bigger) boiler fitted....

So yes, the idea would be the boilder WOULD cope with all 4 Z at once.

Hi,
My CH zone valve actuator gave up the ghost today... Getting a replacement tomorrow...

Whilst removing the dead actuator, I realised that my system has 2 x 2 port valves (1 for CH, 1 for HW) whereas in my last home an otherwise identical system had 1 3-port. Not a problem, just a realisation/observation...!

So my question is, what are the merits of 2 port valves vs 3 port valve ? (other than a 3 port can feed 2 things not just 1 .. I get that bit!)

jpdw

All in here;
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm

One 3-port is cheaper than two 2-ports, so most domestic systems have a 3-port mid-position (CH and/or HWS) valve. You can also get 3-port diverter (CH OR HWS) valves, usually wired to give HWS priority; I think this is just a different actuator on the same valve.

The two 2-port valve system is S-Plan.
Three 2-ports is S-Plan plus.
I prefer the S-Plan arrangement, it makes more sense.

If you have, or change to, an unvented HWS cylinder, you MUST fit a 2-port (spring-return closed) zone valve to it, even if the existing system has a 3-port valve. The 2-port zone valve comes with the unvented cylinder which should, of course, be fitted by someone who has passed the relevant training course. The valve supplied is usually the Honeywell 2-port.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back