zoning central heating problem

R

ringy1

I have a question regards zoning my central heating system in 3 zones, downstairs, upstairs and hot water. I have gas fired central heating, boiler is a baxi solo 2 50pf, i have an open vented system, combined feed and vent. The boiler is downstairs in the kitchen and the hot water cylinder is upstairs. As i understand a zone valve can be put downstairs at the exposed pipwork at boiler where it tees off for the downstairs heating (flow and return tee off at boiler going upstairs and also going downstairs and all that pipework in exposed). But where my problem is how can i seperate the upstairs circut and the hot water because up at the cylinder there is just the primary flow and return coming from the ground to the cylinder? If i put a zone valve downstairs for the heating upstairs its also going to isolate the hot water cylinder also. How can i seperate theses zones seperate? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Minimum of TWO valves needed. (3 port and 2port)

Wrong :oops: :oops:

You will need three 2 port valves to do this. They must be teed off after the pump. You may need a bypass if the boiler has pump overrun, or you can tee the bathroom radiator off before the three valves to act as a permanent bypass.

View media item 47551 View media item 47552 View media item 47553 View media item 47559 View media item 47560As you can see from the pics the boiler and pump are downstairs and upstairs it just the flow and return going to the cylinder its not tee off in hotpress and piped to upstairs rads. must be tee off under the floor. So how can i put a zone on the upstairs heating and also the cylinder. Is it a case of ill have to lift the floor in the hotpress to connect onto the upstairs heating circut because if the zone valve was put on downstairs at the boiler for the upstairs zone that zone valve would also isolate the hot water going to the cylinder

Sponsored Links
Just updated my last post with a few pics so that ye can see what im on about :)

First thing to do is re-pipe the system to fully pumped.

Then move the pump into the cylinder cupboard on the flow and re-pipe the cylinder and zones from there.

Is the baxi solo 2 50pf alright to work on a sealed system just install my expansion vessel. I was thinking of upgrading the boiler to a HE system boiler but the pump will be in boiler and that will prob mess me up installing my zones then, a bit of pipework will have to be altered under the floor upstairs. (floors will have to come up)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back