Zoning new builds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it only a requirement to zone if the house is over 150sqm in new builds now?

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you are referring to a wet heating system, that would seem to be in line with Part L of the building regs 2021.

5.14 For wet heating systems in new dwellings with a floor area of 150m2 or greater, a minimum of two independently controlled heating circuits should be provided.

5.15 System controls should be wired so that when there is no demand for space heating or hot water the heating appliance and pump are switched off.

Assuming that you are referring to a wet heating system, that would seem to be in line with Part L of the building regs 2021.

5.14 For wet heating systems in new dwellings with a floor area of 150m2 or greater, a minimum of two independently controlled heating circuits should be provided.

5.15 System controls should be wired so that when there is no demand for space heating or hot water the heating appliance and pump are switched off.
The use of the word "should" meaning that it is not a requirement but a recommendation?

Definition: Should, VERB. used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness.
  • You should be wearing your seat belt. (obligation)
  • I should be at work now. (duty)
I'm not sure we always use it like that though. 'You should try that new restaurant in the High Street'

Sponsored Links
"Should" is a marvellous word.

I should drink less and exercise more. (But won't.) And you, sir, should be a better person than you are! (Aren't you glad I pointed that out?)

I really should have worked harder and saved money when I was younger. (but didn't.)

You really should zone off your heating if over 150m2 but if you subsequently disconnect one thermostat and common the two zone valves do you suppose anyone will notice or care?

They should, really!

It's building regs and that is the law when it comes to building, so when it comes to a sign off, it would fall foul of the regs and wouldn't be signed off and the developer could be reported for it if the breach was large enough if it wasn't corrected.

Retrofit, then there aren't any 'regs police' running about kicking in doors looking for infractions ;)

It seems some debate at what a zone is, read a county council document which considered fitting TRV's formed zones, and with programmable TRV heads it would be hard to say that's incorrect.

Ok thanks. Also what about the new part L requirement.that radiators should be sized for a 55 degree flow temperature? Are people sizing rads for a 55 degree flow even though there installing them on a gas boiler installation?

Just because it's on a gas fired boiler doesn't mean that the system couldn't run @ 55deg?? I currently run my system @ 60Deg and when I go OT I'll run the CH cooler than that.

It's obviously with G/A Heat Source in mind but a conventional boiler can currently run @ that too.

Ok thanks. Also what about the new part L requirement.that radiators should be sized for a 55 degree flow temperature? Are people sizing rads for a 55 degree flow even though there installing them on a gas boiler installation?
Certainly should be, not only because that's the regulations but also because that's when they're at their most efficient. Condensing boilers became mandatory over 17 years ago, it's good to see the regs finally catching up with the technology

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back