Zoom Mode?

Yes we have dial-up broadband.
I am a little confused here you can either have a broadband connection which in most cases always on or a Dial up connection which dials your ISP number to make a connection (and you pay the cost of a local telephone call)
You are indeed confused.

A dial-up connection directly from a PC uses a dial-up networking connection to drive an analogue modem.

A broadband connection directly from a PC uses a dial-up networking connection to drive those pathetic Voyager (and similar) ADSL modems on the end of a USB lead.

Other high-speed connections use a Local Area Network connection to connect to the Internet via a gateway, which in domestic settings is usually a cable router + cable modem or an ADSL modem router. In this scenario the PC does not use dial-up networking and does not knowingly use ADSL or broadband.

How can I get an internet connection that is always on?
By buying some equipment that maintains the ADSL connection.

Sponsored Links
A broadband connection directly from a PC uses a dial-up networking connection to drive those pathetic Voyager (and similar) ADSL modems on the end of a USB lead. We have a Zoom ADSL USB Modem'. Is that what you are referring to, and if so, why is it pathetic?

Although the problem is more or less solved now, I am intrigued by your suggestion that we buy some equipment. What sort of equipment are you referring to? Would it give me quicker access to the net than I now have (two clicks as opposed to eight before), and what sort of costs would be involved?

A broadband connection directly from a PC uses a dial-up networking connection to drive those pathetic Voyager (and similar) ADSL modems on the end of a USB lead.
We have a Zoom ADSL USB Modem'. Is that what you are referring to, and if so, why is it pathetic?
1. It doesn't support an 'always on' connection.
2. It isn't scalable.
3. It's cheap and crap.
4. It uses a USB port as a high-speed network interface - this is never what USB was intended or designed to do.

Although the problem is more or less solved now, I am intrigued by your suggestion that we buy some equipment. What sort of equipment are you referring to?
Any old ADSL router. These are commonplace devices that provide four functions:

1. ADSL modem.
2. LAN switch with ethernet ports.
3. NAT routing.
4. SPI firewall.

Would it give me quicker access to the net than I now have (two clicks as opposed to eight before)
I don't know what you mean by "clicks", but whether or not it would be quicker depends on what your existing bottleneck is.

what sort of costs would be involved?
£30 for a ****e one, £50 for a good one, more for one with wireless, even more for one with powerful wireless.

We have a Zoom ADSL USB Modem'. Is that what you are referring to, and if so, why is it pathetic?
1. It doesn't support an 'always on' connection.
2. It isn't scalable.
3. It's cheap and rubbish.
4. It uses a USB port as a high-speed network interface - this is never what USB was intended or designed to do.
Agree with softus here, however there may be some advantage to having a connection that is not "always on". Having used a similar modem to yours in the past I felt a little more secure (complacent?) by the fact that connection only made when I requested it. I know that you could turn off or disable your LAN connection however that requires you remembering to do so.

Now knowing the type of connection you have and assuming that the Zoom icon refers to your Zoom USB modem it is quite possible that its purpose is to wake the modem up or run diagnostics. At least that was the case with my original Speedtouch. If it does not appear to do anything then have a look in the manual for the modem. You may also find that you have an entry to the modem in Control Panel which offers set up and diagnostics options

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help guys. We now have quick access to the net by simply clicking on the zoom modem icon. Before Mrs B changed some settings, we had to make clicks on start, connect to, zoom modem, connect, dial-up, close and finally the IE icon.

Softus, if I ever reach a stage where the zoom adsl modem is no longer fit for (my) purpose, I will certainly give your suggestion serious thought.

Would it give me quicker access to the net than I now have (two clicks as opposed to eight before)....?
Now that I understand what you mean, I can answer this question.

Yes.

You would need zero clicks, which is two less than you need at the moment.

Back