no completion certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,i had my boiler installed in 2006 and dont seem to have a completion certificate.The thing is i've got my house up for sale and recieved a letter from the solicitors saying i need one and if i havent got one to obtain one from the relevant competent persons scheme listed on www.communities.gov.uk.
Im a bit confused and was wondering does this mean to get my boiler checked out from someone on the list so they can give me this certificate?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the installation certificate is left with the boiler manual, have you checked there for it?
Do you know who installed the boiler? If so contact them they should have a copy.
If the boiler was not fitted by a competent person and or certificates have not been issued. Then you will need to get a gas safe safe engineer to look at the installation and do the relevant checks and tests.

i never recieved a certificate and the plumber who installed it retired a bit back.am worried this will affect the house sale

Yeah, get another GasSafe member to do a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate check and if all is OK that should be enough given the circumstances. Sometimes solicitors need these things explaining though. Send the bill to the original plumber but don't expect to be paid.

Sponsored Links
Have a look in your instruction book (if you have got it) there should be a Benchmark Commissioning section, if your plumber completed this then it will do.

just rang corgi up who can give you a copy of your completion certificate and they say it was never registered!

A few things; once an installation for a new boiler is done Gasafe rules dictate installers should notify ever installation to them within 28 days. If they fail to do this then they may be allowed a late submission (often up to one year late sometimes) and I believe there is a nominal late fee as well.

Gasafe installers have no legal power to self certificate other peoples work, especially respectively. Only the LA has this power and you should ideally Regularise the work with them. It is something that happens though as realistically who is going to know. Unless Gasafe do a check and spot something is up it is unlikely you will be found out.

An 'installation certificate' is not the building control compliance certificate that your solicitor is after. It is either the Corgi/Gasafe certificate or a LA Completion Certificate.

Asking a Gasafe installer to do a Landlords Gas Safety check and issuing a Gas Safety Certificate is also not the right certificate, that has nothing to do with the original installation nor does it state that it complies with the Building Regulations.

Paulf1976 - so what to do about building regulations?

I have the same problem as the original poster. My boiler was fitted by a registered corgi gas fitter (he is now on the gasafe register), but he never filled in the completion form, or registered the boiler as I have checked with gasafe and corgi.

I have now got a buyer for my house and am being asked for the 'completion certificate' as well as a copy of the inspection report from when the boiler was last serviced or maintained.

I spoke to my fitter who said the completion form will be in the manual. I told him that the form is blank. But I can't seem to get him to respond to emails or come round.

I have had the boiler serviced but only have a receipt. So is the inspection report a separate thing?

What about registering with building control people?

What do I do now? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Just tell the truth . ie you have not got one and ask them to arrange such inspections, surveys or checks as they wish. You may need to negotiate the sale price to allow for their cost, unless you are confident that they will not wish to lose the purchase. Its as much about sales price tactics as anything although the absence of the certificates could theoretically affect the price of insurance. In reality its typical of house ownership and sales. Just more back covering and fee justification.

Just tell the truth . ie you have not got one and ask them to arrange such inspections, surveys or checks as they wish. You may need to negotiate the sale price to allow for their cost, unless you are confident that they will not wish to lose the purchase. Its as much about sales price tactics as anything although the absence of the certificates could theoretically affect the price of insurance. In reality its typical of house ownership and sales. Just more back covering and fee justification.

Thanks for reply. Do you know what inspections might be needed, as I could get them done myself, to satisfy solicitors questions.

The boiler installation completion certificate just starts a chain of responsibility but you have had the boiler serviced since then and that engineer should have checked the installation for safety.
There is no requirement for the buyer to have all the certificates, so you can only tell their solicitor what the situation is and then they will decide what would satisfy them or what they can beat you down by "worrying you"or how long they want to delay completion.
Your own solicitor should advise you. Don't worry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back