Electrical and gas certificates....

• Thread starter BuildingNovice
  • Start date
B

BuildingNovice

Please could someone clarify what the procedure is:

Electrical: initial letter from local council stated "you are advised to ensure that your electrician provides you with a copy of the building regulation compliance certificate and they register the works with their competent persons scheme.

So it seems my builder has to directly give me a letter/certificate? How do I check whether they registered work with their competent persons scheme?

The council letter did not refer to a similar certificate for gas (boiler) work. Is the procedure different?

Sponsored Links
both the same, if the installer did the gas, the water and the electrical then he can even combine the notification into one certificate

Thanks

Builder used rseparate registered sub-contractors for electric and gas, so I assume they each need to provide the certificates?

Although when building control officer came round to do a final check, he seemed to say I would get a certificate in the post?

Please could someone clarify what the procedure is:

Electrical: initial letter from local council stated "you are advised to ensure that your electrician provides you with a copy of the building regulation compliance certificate and they register the works with their competent persons scheme.

Sounds like this is notifyable work under Part P of building regs. In which case:

The electrician needs to provide a certificate which shows the work done, test results, and with a signature on it which certfies the work complies with Electrical Regulations. This is called an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) and should be given to the person 'ordering the works'. This shows the work complies with current electrical regulations.

The electrician then needs to advise his self certifying body that he has done the work and it's all hunky dory.

They will tell your council. The council will say, well if it satisfies current electrical regulations, it satisfies the building regs.

The council will then send the householder a ' building regulation compliance certificate' which might also be called a completion certificate, which you will need to keep with the house documents. This shows that the work complies with Part P.

So if what you quoted is absolutely verbatim then it seems like the council are a touch confused. Whet they probably mean is the EIC. However if the builder and electrician are all above board then it should all work out in the end.

Make sure you keep both documents safe as somebody is bound to want to see them in the future and it will make life so much easier for you if you can find them.

Sponsored Links
Chapeau,

Thank you for the helpful reply.

Does the same apply to the gas/boiler side of things? i.e. should I expect a signed certificate

PS yes, the quote was verbatim off a council letter!

Chapeau,

Thank you for the helpful reply.

Does the same apply to the gas/boiler side of things? i.e. should I expect a signed certificate

PS yes, the quote was verbatim off a council letter!

I'm not as sure about the gas but would expect so. Gas is more strongly regulated than electricity as in the laws are stricter when it comes to gas.

For electricity, the EIC only shows the work has been done to current regulations, this is a set of standards, and is not The Law.

The completion certificate from the council shows the work has been done to part P of the building regulations, this is The Law.

So an electrician is not allowed to say his work is a ' building regulation compliance certificate' as only the council or somebody else specially approved can do that, an electrician cannot certify that his work complies with The Law. What the council do is take it on trust that his certficiate is good and his governing self certifying scheme will keep standards high.

Anyway, more out of interest really. If you have a decent builder he will sort it out and in due course you will get all the paperwork you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back