New loft conversion complete but no building reg certificate !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I had a loft conversion completed by a very reputable local company at the start of this year. 6 months on, I'm very happy with the build. One thing is outstanding however, the building regs completion certificate.

The loft company used a separate building control company who I paid directly for the inspections, which happened throughout the build.
When the certificate didn't arrive a few weeks after completion, I spoke to my inspector who said he was all ready to issue the completion certificate but was just waiting for the Part P electrical installation certificate from the loft company.
I then spoke to my PM at the loft company who had used their usual separate firm of electricians. My PM said that the electrician had told him that he had sent their certificate at the time. My PM then said he would chase the electricians for another copy which could then be sent on to the building control company. 6 months on and I'm still waiting, despite numerous calls to the loft company !

I have now accepted that the Part P electrical completion certificate isn't going to happen for whatever reason and won't be phoning my loft company about this again.

When I spoke to the building inspector about the options that I have, he said he could issue a building completion certificate with an exemption for the electrics. Is this true ?
If that is the case, could I get the council building control to regularise the electrical installation only ?
If that's possible, would I have building regs completion certificate compliance ?
Or would the councils regularisation on the electrics need to go the private building inspector for him to issue an overall certificate of compliance ?
I hope that has made sense, any advice greatly appreciate.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
You could try asking your building inspector if he would accept a periodic inspection report from an electrician given the circumstances, if he sees sense this would be the easiest out come. I would not recommend approaching the local council building control at all for now.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
Micric, I think I would only contact the council anonymously right now as the loft company also raised the roof line slightly higher than the original by moving backwards up the parapet walls although they didn't alter the pitch. It's quite low impact but an additional worry from a planning enforcement pov !
I last rang the PM from the loft company today so I think I'll ring the building inspector on Monday after I've seen any other advice that trickles through on here.
I went to the checkmynotification website that you suggested and typed in my postcode and there is no listing for my house ? Does that just confirm that there definitely hasn't been a completion certificate issued for my house or that there is something else that should have been done that hasn't ?
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Next time, don't hand over the cash until these things have been provided. It's marvellous how that focuses the mind.

Thanks Nakajo,
That's really great advice but I'm not sure when the next time will be, as I think a loft conversion is something you do just once within a property.
Like I said, I'm very happy with the build and am hoping that someone here has some constructive suggestion on how to progress with building regulations confirmation, given my position as explained.

I am 99% sure they will accept a EICR along with the Inspect and test cert.

Hi,
I just looked that up - an Electrical Installation Condition Report ? I'll look into that. Thanks !

Hi,
I just looked that up - an Electrical Installation Condition Report ? I'll look into that. Thanks !
I suggested that, all be it in its previous form of a periodic inspection report, you need to ask the building inspector if that is a viable solution though.
I am mindful that you have used a private company for building control on the recommendation of the loft company so chances are he has an ongoing relationship with them should there be more to this than meets the eye so to speak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back