No completion certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago we had two internal walls removed. We had a structural engineer and everything went through building regs.

The inspector can round midway and at completion of the project and was happy with the work but he couldn’t issue a final certificate as the windows upstairs open from the top not the bottom and, with the walls removed, this meant they weren’t appropriate fire escape. I haven’t changed the windows as i didn’t have the money and I was worried about my toddler falling out (the ledges are quite low).

I’m just after a bit of advice as we are thinking about moving house and I’m concerned about not having a completion certificate for this work - will this impact selling the house? I’m hoping that, as their should be records of all this at the council, it wouldn’t deter buyers as they know the structural work is safe?

If this is not the case, are the council able to issue the certificate retrospectively if we had the windows changed?

thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Presumably the walls removed have left an open staircase where it was previously separated from kitchen etc by a wall? Short answer- get onto building control and verify what type of windows they want you to fit where, get them fitted and get the certificate. It isn't retrospective or regularisation since they've inspected the work done so far, you might get lucky and avoid an additional fee (they like jobs finished within a year but can be flexible).
You can chance it on selling but it'll cost you if you are honest in the vendors declaration- far better to do it properly (plus your current layout may make your survival in case of fire at night unlikely)

This is not just a case of a missing bit of paper for structural work, but is an important life safety issue - affecting the property, the occupants and mortgage and insurance.

Yes as the work is effectively ongoing (despite being unlawful) you can get the work done and signed off. If the council have archived the records, you'll pay a fee to retrieve them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back