no building control completion certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice about the implications of not having a building control completion certificate.

The background is that we applied for a building notice to take out a middle-wall to make a big open plan room which contained the kitchen. Building regs approved the notice and came round to inspect the work during the build but on the final inspection they've now said that they can't issue a completion notice as the work doesn't comply with fire regs. We've been told this is because as a 3-storey house we must have an enclosed stairwell and by open-planning the lower ground we've removed the previous doorway.

They didn't raise this issue at any point during the inspection but are now saying they can't issue the completion certificate until we put in a doorway to the stairwell.

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on this issue? To be honest it's come a bit out of the blue and we don't know what to do - to put in a new doorway would completely change the new open-plan space and it's something we really don't want to do - but we're obviously worried about not getting a completion certificate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The disadvantage of doing things on a notice is that you need to have a good knowledge of the Building Regulations. It is up to the person doing the work to know them (well legally the homeowner), Building Control cannot be expected to know how your plans/layouts are to end up as you've not provided them with any and are not obliged to ask you either. Ultimately apart from the obvious safety issues in that you may well die in your sleep (although that is your choice) your Buildings Insurance will not be valid. If the buyers solicitor finds out during a purchase you will have major problems when you come to sell the house. If you get away with it I feel sorry for the poor unfortunate sole who unwittingly buys your death trap of a house. I don't think there'll be an alternative to a separating door. The regs are pretty clear on this tbh. You could see if they'll accept a sprinkler system.

Strangely its reminiscent of this very recent thread: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224665

Off the record... why didn't you leave the staircase enclosed, get your certificate and then open up the staircase? Yes, you'd be in breach of the regulations but it would have been better that way, then doing it before.

Off the record... why didn't you leave the staircase enclosed, get your certificate and then open up the staircase? Yes, you'd be in breach of the regulations but it would have been better that way, then doing it before.
DD I can't believe you're suggesting this! :eek: Would you do that in your house? Its one thing to remove some closers or similar but this is more fundamental.

Sponsored Links
I'm not saying it's a valid reason because it's not... it's illegal. However, people with a little bit of common sense carry out these kind of alterations once they have the completion certificate in their posession and not before.

Yes, we've seen this sort of thing before. It's up to the builder/designer to ensure that the works comply with Building Regulations. The Building Inspector is just there to check it. He's done his job and informed you that it doesn't comply.
The Building Notice forms should come with a public health warning that those peple who don't know the regs shouldn't go that route.

I didn't say I do it, nor do I suggest people to do it. What I was saying was people will and do carry out certain non-compliant alterations once they are in receipt of their building regulation completion certificate.

A BCO will deem the works to comply at the date/time of his inspection. They do not follow jobs up to "check" works still comply. Just like an MOT on a car.

A possibility (not guaranteed to comply in all cases) is to fit mains powered smoke detectors, and a fire exit from upstairs. In my bungalow a loft bedroom was built just before I moved in. There was no door on the stairs or the upstairs bedroom but a completion certificate was issued. I was told that mains powered smoke detectors were fitted and this was accepted.

A possibility (not guaranteed to comply in all cases) is to fit mains powered smoke detectors, and a fire exit from upstairs. In my bungalow a loft bedroom was built just before I moved in. There was no door on the stairs or the upstairs bedroom but a completion certificate was issued. I was told that mains powered smoke detectors were fitted and this was accepted.
Different and more stringent rules as in evidence here once you go over two storeys.

Hi,

you may have this sorted by now but we had a similar issue. Our options were to install an escape route cutting the lounge in half or a sprinkler protection system.

We went for a sprinkler costing £1500 to cover the lounge.

With fire regs there isn't any grey area. Its all laid out in the regs. You need a protected route from the building for rapid escape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back