Building Completion Certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a phased extension to the house.

The first phase we think we can do under permitted development but with building regs approval.

Phases 2 and 2a we will require planning permission and building regs (and a few years saving up first!)

With regards to completion certificates, if we applied to do all of this work under 1 application (to save initial outlay) and then only completed Phase 1, would we get some kind of certificate to confirm it complies to the regs?

e.g. if we did phase 1 next year (completed it) and the decided to move house without doing phase 2, would we be in a sticky situation?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps my own example might help you decide.
We planned on a double garage, extension to kitchen and new bathroom, and a conservatory.
We didn't need PP for garage or conservatory, (although the extension may have used up any PD). We did need BC for garage (40m²) but not for conservatory.

We put the lot on one go for PP and BC; garage, extension and conservatory.

First inspection by BC I told them it would be 3 phase project: garage, then extension then conservatory.
They weren't phased by it and even suggested it was a sensible approach.

PP has a time limit for starting a project but usually no limit for completion.

We now have the BC completion for the garage and the project is ongoing.

I'm assuming that PP could be sold with the house if required. If/ when you have PP you will have a set of drawings with "Approved" stamped on them. Any surveyor should be able to tell, almost at a glance, that the work so far is in accordance with the original PP.

Another consideration which I'm not sure about, perhaps the more experienced might confirm. If you apply for BC now, the building is inspected under current legislation, not some future legislation which might be in force when the project is under construction.

Perhaps my own example might help you decide.
We planned on a double garage, extension to kitchen and new bathroom, and a conservatory.
We didn't need PP for garage or conservatory, (although the extension may have used up any PD). We did need BC for garage (40m²) but not for conservatory.

We put the lot on one go for PP and BC; garage, extension and conservatory.

First inspection by BC I told them it would be 3 phase project: garage, then extension then conservatory.
They weren't phased by it and even suggested it was a sensible approach.

PP has a time limit for starting a project but usually no limit for completion.

We now have the BC completion for the garage and the project is ongoing.

I'm assuming that PP could be sold with the house if required. If/ when you have PP you will have a set of drawings with "Approved" stamped on them. Any surveyor should be able to tell, almost at a glance, that the work so far is in accordance with the original PP.

Another consideration which I'm not sure about, perhaps the more experienced might confirm. If you apply for BC now, the building is inspected under current legislation, not some future legislation which might be in force when the project is under construction.

Thanks for this, yes I was also wondering a bit about the bit in bold, so if anyone else can confirm that would be helpful.

In some ways I'd like to get it all planned/approved in one go, but phase 2 has some possible manhole complications and I'd like to get going on Phase 1 ASAP, particularly as I think we can do it under PD without planning. (Phase 2 I don't think can be done under PD)

Sometimes PP is accepted with provisos, e.g. roof truss plans to be approved before installation, bricks to be similar as existing, drains subject to approval from Water Company, etc.

This might be one of those instances when PP is agreed subject to approval from the local Sewer company.
A local architect will be experienced in these matters. Or perhaps I should say "ought to be experienced".

Sponsored Links
if we applied to do all of this work under 1 application (to save initial outlay) and then only completed Phase 1, would we get some kind of certificate to confirm it complies to the regs?

Not as in an official (completion certificate) document from the LA.

if we did phase 1 next year (completed it) and the decided to move house without doing phase 2, would we be in a sticky situation?

No, not necessarily. It may put people off buying though knowing they have to buy and then complete the works, which the previous (i.e. you) owner did not finish.

Why don't you just apply in two stages? Ok, there will be two BR fee's and yes, the BR's will be slightly different, but nothing drastic. Also means if and when the sale was to go through, there would be no complications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back