Full Plan Approval No Completion Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I are in the process of buying a house. Our solicitor has asked for copies of building regs approvals for an extension the current owners put on three years ago. The current owners solicitor has not provided the completion certificate.

The local authority building regs website shows a full plan application was approved but shows the status as “Building work started”. Other applications show “building work complete.” This could be, I guess, due to the council not updating their site. Could it also be due to the final indirection not having taken place or due to the work not having been carried out in accordance with regulations and the Inspector refusing to sign off the work?

Sponsored Links
Your solicitor or their solicitor can obtain copies of the inspection records for the work, along with the current status. It's no use speculating.

My wife and I are in the process of buying a house. Our solicitor has asked for copies of building regs approvals for an extension the current owners put on three years ago. The current owners solicitor has not provided the completion certificate.

The local authority building regs website shows a full plan application was approved but shows the status as “Building work started”. Other applications show “building work complete.” This could be, I guess, due to the council not updating their site. Could it also be due to the final indirection not having taken place or due to the work not having been carried out in accordance with regulations and the Inspector refusing to sign off the work?

Chances are the work didn't have the completion inspection carried out this is quite common, owner assumes the contractor has done it, contractor has been paid and couldn't care less. Happens all the time usually comes to light a few days before everyone is due to move. Contact building Control they'll let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back