Do I need building regs for boiler change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently changed my central heating boiler for a new condensing unit.
I'm not Corgi or Gas Safe registered but I am a "competent person" as defined by law.
I'm getting conflicting advice as to whether I need to notify the council and get a completion certificate.
They want £150 for my application and their building regs dept are unsure whether I need it.

Sponsored Links
I believe the answer is yes, you should have notified the work before you began. Your friend here is Schedule 4 of the Building Regs 2010 which lists the work you are allowed to do without notification (note that the electrical rules have changed as of this month). You start at the top of the list and work down. If you find a section that says your work isn't notifiable then it isn't - if your reach the bottom then it is. I can't see anything that would allow you to fit a new boiler without notification.

But 2 things stand out :
1) £150 doesn't sound too bad - especially as most LABCs charge 50% extra for doing retrospective notifications (to encourage people to do it right).
2) If your LABC don't know, then just don't offer to do it !

I believe there's nothing they can do after 4 years anyway - unless it's unsafe/doesn't meet regs. And worst case, you'd just need to make a retrospective notification. Very worst case, you notify that you're going to replace the boiler, remove it, refit it, and you're done !

Thank you.
I just won't bother applying then.
Something quite odious about having to inform LABC when I want to work on my own property.
Then, when I asked them, they were unsure.
All they really wanted was my money. No surprise there, I suppose.

Seeing a council certificate for a newly fitted boiler would be very low on my list of things when purchasing a house.
I would prefer to be seeing the proof of competence of whoever fitted it.

Sponsored Links
And the first thing I'd do is get a qualified person to do a service & safety inspection regardless of what paperwork came with the property. When I bought my last house (which is a rental property), the safety check came up with a faulty flue - wrong materials and installation when the property was built, and not spotted when the gas fire had been replaced a few years ago !

That's apart from the legal requirement for safety cert for a rented property.

I agree with the last 2 posters. Thanks.
It seems that you're going to need certificates of competence for changing light bulbs soon.
I can see the need for competence when it comes to gas work.
What surprised me was the LA not knowing whether I'd need Building Control approval and sign-off.

Competent people on the Gas Safe Register are self regulated and certified. Work by those people is subject to random checks for compliance and so would not require building control certification as well.

However, as you are not on the Gas Safe register you would need to have your work checked and signed off.

Like you say, the cost isn't huge, and less than it would have costed to get a registered plumber in to do the work in the first place.

I would always "advise" that you do notify them, as you would certainly be invalidating your home insurances if you do not. God forbid, if something were to go wrong you would be personally liable for any damage to your property or neighbouring properties. If anyone was hurt as a result then you'd have even bigger worries.

Boiler failures can cause catastrophic explosions, as well as severe burns, scalds and other life threatening injuries. Boiler failures can also cause fires, carbon monoxide poisoning, and significant property damage.

Take a look at this

Whilst I agree with what you wrote, the reality of changing a boiler is a simple process.
The hardest part is changing the wiring on a "Y" plan system, so as to power the circulator directly from the boiler, so as to permit overrun.
Even that isn't rocket science.
In terms of pipework there's a 22mm flow, a 22mm return and a plastic condensate pipe. Also a length of 15mm gas piping.
In this health and safety environment, yes there is potential for hazards.
In reality, registered people want over £1000 to install something a competent person could do for £50 or less.

My gas hob could cause burns, carbon monoxide poisoning and significant property damage if I were daft enough to leave a chip pan unattended. I'm not, so it's irrelevant.

Your points are well made and I'm grateful for them. I can't help feeling that LA sign-off is just bureaucratic fee taking.

Competent people on the Gas Safe Register are self regulated and certified. Work by those people is subject to random checks for compliance and so would not require building control certification as well.

That's what they said about Corgi engineers.

I could have done a better job than the last ones I had do some work for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back