Do I need Building Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question about building regs which I'm hoping I could get some help with?

I have asked my local councils building regs team and they haven't responded. Although, the council took two months of chasing to sort out council tax...

My house currently has brick outbuildings separated from the house by a 900mm passageway.

The outbuildings are 1.9m x 4m with the long side running parallel to the house.

I'm hoping to build a lean-to polycarbonate roof which covers the passageway and outbuilding roof with a uPVC door at both ends. I will be making no modification to the main house, merely covering a walkway and outbuilding.

Would someone be able to help me know if I need building regs for this project, as I can't seem to be able to work it out?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
No you dont need it

its just a covered walkway, you arent building a habitable structure not are you doing any structural work

No you dont need it

its just a covered walkway, you arent building a habitable structure not are you doing any structural work
Thank you,

No plans for structural chnages

I was wanting to also insulate the walls and ceilings of the outbuilding and put a little freezer and tumble dryer in. That wouldn't suddenly make it habitable space due to insulation would it?

Only thing would possibly if you are running new electrics out to those buildings (ie a new circuit) - that would be controlled works, or you could use an electrician who can self-certify the work.

Sponsored Links
Only thing would possibly if you are running new electrics out to those buildings (ie a new circuit) - that would be controlled works, or you could use an electrician who can self-certify the work.
Thank you!

Thankfully there is already power there which is on the electrical certs from when the house used to be a rental.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back