I want to remove a portion of a long outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 barns, in line, with a large courtyard between. Both face fantastic views, or at least the main barn would if it weren't for the other one!

The larger cow barn has been converted to our house. The slightly smaller one is an outbuilding (used to be the milking shed or creamery). From the windows in this one the views are panoramic, right down to the sea.

Currently it's only used for storage. It is 35' long/wide x 14' deep.
I want to remove about 10'-12' from the middle, leaving 2 smaller outbuildings on either side. This would open up the whole plot to the front garden and enable us to see the views beyond from the house/courtyard.

At the moment our only access from the house/courtyard is a 4' passageway to one side that goes under the roof and has an internal wall to section it off from the barn! Not satisfactory!

My question, really, is will I need planning? Building regs? The work would be done properly and my son is a structural engineer so it would be safe!

The building is granite with a tile roof (a bit ugly). Has anyone done anything similar? All I can find is either outbuildings demolished or new ones constructed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back