neighbours water mains over my property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just found our neighbours water mains coming across our field and under our house what should we do?
We are having a large extension on our barn and whilst digging the footings we came across a mains water supply in a black pipe. it comes from the corner of our field from where the stopcock for the mains is on the side of the road and across our field and through our garden and through the middle of our new extension and then under our existing house across our courtyard and then through to next door. We have nothing on our deeds or theirs to say it is there and we have our own independent supply. What rights do we have as we would have to excavate our garden to find the end and trench for their pipe. Any suggestions as I need to know my rights.

Further info is that our property and our next door neigbours was one about 26 years ago and was seperated in 1987 when the owner of the farm house was a developer and converted the barn and then seperated and sold both properties. It was obviously easier for him and cheaper to run this mains to our neighbours like this and thought it would never raise its head.
:(

Sponsored Links
Just redirect the pipe. As long as the neighbours supply is maintained you can do what you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back