Outbuildings, Planning in Greenbelt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wondered if anyone could help / offer advice as I’ve been dealing with the local planning department (directly and through a Planning Consultant) for the last year and getting no where.

Background info
• I live in a greenbelt area (just inside the boundary that is created by 2 main roads)
• The house is an old house on the road side
• We have substantial outbuildings previously used as stables / kennels / storage with their own water & power

The Plan
• Knock down the house and outbuildings to create a new house away from the roadside

Initial Discussions with planning before submitting Plans#1 encouraged this development where we intended to build a house in the foot print of the outbuildings. The demolition of the extensive outbuildings would be used to mitigate the increase in size of the new house – accepted verbally and in an email.

Following on from a site visit the planner was uncertain our garden was a garden! So we had to withdraw Plans#1 and submit Plans#2 for a certificate of lawful use.

Eventually Plans#2 passed as it was / is a garden and we met to discuss revised submission of Plans#1 with a smaller footprint which were again encouraged and “verbally” accepted. Plans#3 submitted.

Taking aside the 9 day delay in validation of Plans#3 as they asked for information they already had and didn’t realise, we got to 7 weeks and 5 days before the planner (different to the planner we were dealing with for Plans#1&2) referred back to an email received from a Senior Planner a month previous to recommend refusal as they did not accepted the “inconspicuous” outbuildings as part of the “deal” for the increased size of the new dwelling. We were forced to withdraw the application.

We intend to meet with planning to discuss the way forward – why were we not told of the email a month ago and given the chance to amend the plans being one of my questions.

If we can not get a larger house and we keep the outbuildings, can we build up to the outbuildings and use them as part of the new dwelling (assuming we adhere to Building Regs). I assume they do not need planning permission if they are already in situ and we can “knock through” to make the outbuildings part of the new dwelling (without bedrooms & kitchens).

Help!? (& Thanks)

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a very site specific and LA specific query and I don't think anyone can be expected to help or offer advice on such a specific situation.
I may be wrong but without all the relevant information, I think it's doubtful. It sounds as though there is a lot of relevant information required so a web-based forum might not be the best option to gain advice.
e.g.
If we can not get a larger house and we keep the outbuildings, can we build up to the outbuildings and use them as part of the new dwelling (assuming we adhere to Building Regs). I assume they do not need planning permission if they are already in situ and we can “knock through” to make the outbuildings part of the new dwelling (without bedrooms & kitchens).

To convert outbuildings to habitable rooms, or to build up to them, may require planning permission, to alter them externally will certainly require PP.
To make them habitable rooms will certainly require BR permission.

problem
planning department don't agree with your idea
solution
try consulting them and ask what they expect from you

alter your plans till they agree or take it to apeal

was your planning consultant any help/good??

as said above by redherring our opinions don't matter as we wont pass or fail your application

Thanks for the advice - i'm aware it's a specific situation but it cant harm to ask the questions.

My planner has been good, the issue is the planning department have encouraged both applications and we have changed our plans according to their instructions and several meetings and then at the 11th hour have changed their minds. On this occassion the day before the expiry date.

Assuming they would let me build a new house the same size as the current house - i wondered how i could incorporate the current extensive outbuildings into the new property. Can they touch the new dwelling? I am aware BR would be required and the outside would look the same (according to the senior planner, the wood exterior of the outbuildings makes them inconspicious .....) and we would essentially build a new annex if that was an option.

Thanks again for your help - i'm not expecting the definitve answer just some help / advice and how to go forward.

Sponsored Links
Conspicuous is an odd word to use. In order to reuse builidngs in the green belt/countryside they normally have to be substantial and permanent and in reasonable repair. I'm not aware of any requirement for them to be particularly noticeable.

Thanks - The stables are of good quality and over 80 foot long - quite noticable to most people.

Thanks for all replies - much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back