Outbuilding planning question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's an outbuilding in our garden which was previous used in years gone by as a toilet and outhouse. We've demolished the top and simply the footings remain.

What are the planning laws regarding re-development of an outbuilding should I wish to re-build it as an office? Do I need planning permission?

That's one question in itself, the matter is complicated by the fact the building is built over a sewer, or rather, an old culvert runs under it and a new sewer has been built up to it in later years.

Sponsored Links
You can put back the structure to more or less what it was without planning permission. If you alter it significantly (in size/design/floorplan) then you should do so within the permitted development guidelines, or else you will need to apply for formal planning permission

For b/regs if you build it afresh as anything other than a uninhabitable room, then you will need to apply for b/regs for the whole lot - including foundations and the sewer may be an issue. However, if you rebuild it as an outhouse, and then apply for b/regs for a conversion to a habitable space, then for b/regs purposes the sewer would be relevant

You can put back the structure to more or less what it was without planning permission.

Does this apply to ALL scenarios, i.e. even those in sensitive areas? Are there not conditions that encourage the retaining of the facade for example?

No, but generally for a shed and toilet it probably will apply.

If its something like replacing Buckingham Palace with a Kebab shop, then probably not :cool:

As with all things, special areas have different rules, and individual properties may have specific conditions

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back