Chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Could someone please help. I'm having my front room replastered including new ceiling so I have to strip the room bare for the work. I thought i'd take the opportunity to take out the chimney breast the same time as everything would be taken out of room including carpet. I spoke to the building inspector guy who first told me there shouldn't be a problem in putting 2 x RSJ's in for support. But spoke to him today & he was a little concerned about the RSJ being so near to the window. From the pics you can see that the first RSJ will be about 10" away from the end of window so I can see where he's coming from. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I'm trying to get the chimney breast out before the plasterer comes so didn't want to go down the structural engineer route. It's a 1930's semi with 4 fireplaces. There is one directly above the one in the pictures in the front bedroom. Also does anyone know what strength RSJ's I need for the 3.2m span? I don't mind completely over-engineering it if it means no strucural engineer as I haven't got much time to get this done. p.s I know there's going to be a heck of a mess with the black mortar stuff.
Thanks guys in advance. View media item 64769 View media item 64770 View media item 64771 View media item 64772 View media item 64773 View media item 64775 View media item 64776 View media item 64777 View media item 64778 View media item 64779

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have any thoughts on this

I do.
I think your a nutter. Its a shame that building control allows people to bas@ardize homes in this fashion.

Dear Norcon,

Thank you for your diagnosis, i've been wondering what's wrong with me for years. I didn't realise you were so emotionally attached to chimney breasts so I apologise if I have upset you. Unfortunately though, my home is my castle so the saying goes and can do what I like to it as long as it's within the law (and building regs of course).

Kind Regards,
Datadiyer.

Well at least it doesn't come free. Should cost you a nice packet or two.

That big girder running along there is gonna look real purdy.
NOT. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need two beams for that chinmey - one with some short lengths of steel plate would do.
I suspect your building inspector will still ask you to provide structural calcs for the beam.

Chimney breasts eh? Great idea when you've got a fire at the bottom of it...bit pointless otherwise...

There shouldn't be a problem bearing onto the wall by the window...make sure you've got a decent pad stone under the beam.

You could get away with a single beam if the building inspector will accept it, the brickwork will arch as long as it's well bonded, although some steel plates under the brickwork between the beam and the wall is another option.

A 203 UC 46 would eat it. You'd probably get away with something smaller if you get some calcs done.

If your floor joists run onto the wall with the chimney breast, there is an alternative way, assuming the upstairs fireplace is blocked off.

You can support the front of the breast off a stout piece of timber, which in turn is supported off the existing trimmers either side of the breast.

You would almost certainly have to take out the concrete hearth, because the inner edge of that will be supported off the downstairs breast. But it will save an awkward piece of steel in your ceiling.

It won't affect the existing trimmers because the load is being applied right near the end.

Nothings too difficult from the armchair.

What if the joists are running the wrong direction? Just chainsaw them out?
This is getting good and expensive now.

I did say it would work that way only if the joists are running into the wall.
If that's the case, it would be the cheapest and least-disruptive fix.

If the joists are running parallel to the chimney, then steel would be the best option.

(And I don't just do this from an arnmchair).

Nothings too difficult from the armchair.

What if the joists are running the wrong direction? Just chainsaw them out?
This is getting good and expensive now.
Looks like a 1930s semi to me. I'd be very surprised if they do't run front to back...

Looks like a 1930s semi to me. I'd be very surprised if they do't run front to back...

You could well be right about that, but up here, many from late 19th c. up to the War, are built with joists going into the party wall.

Put gallows brackets above the first floor, and then make good with a bit of studwork

Wondered when you'd surface.

Many inspectors won't accept gallows brackets.

Thanks Guys,
Tony, you're right, the inspector didn't like the idea of brackets as it would mean structural calculations (which is fine if you have time & Money). The Joists are running back to front which is a shame as I understand you're solution. (thanks for the pic)
Ronny, the inspector says 2 RSJ's need to go in unfortunately so a bit more work there. Yes, I agree,, a good padstone should help matters. Also Ronny, you're right in that I can hide the beam in the void. I think there's about 8 or 9" void plus the ceiling is being lowered by 3" so plenty of room to hide the RSJ.
I'll hopefully going to speak to the inspector tomorrow who is also going to tell me which steel I need! What a guy. I'll post pics as progress starts. I'll be the one holding the big industrial dust extractor thing, lol.
Hey Norcon, I could perhaps fit another armchair in the extra room and think up some other nutty ideas, lol. Believe me, I wouldn't be doing this if the room wasn't being cleared anyway.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back