1 1/2 sink plumbing, drainage issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

my mum moved into a high rise block of flats. all the plumbing in the flat (from kitchen and bathroom) leads to a main service shaft that runs vertically through the block, only authorized tradespeople get access to it. we noticed the bathroom (sink and shower tray) drain slowly and were actually backing up however with much plunging and some use of drain clearing solution these are now draining reasonably. never any issue with toilet but will this be going to a separate main waste pipe than other services? i give you all this back story for a reason!

the plumbing under the kitchen sink was leaking so i replaced it with a 1 1/2 kitchen sink 'kit' (i know real plumbers hate these kits!) that can accommodate a washing machine waste. here's it all connected:

http://pho.to/4lSKU

section A of the kit (with u bend) connected to main waste that runs behind chipboard. section B (with horizontal section for sink drainage & washing machine waste nozzle) attached into section A. this then meant the length of sections C (i.e. the drop from the sinks) was dictated by the rest of the plumbing.

when i run water through the sinks even on full-ish flow things drain okay. if i 1/2 fill either of the sinks and let the water out in one go things drain okay although sometimes water comes up the other plughole slightly. similarly, when the washing machine drains water comes up the main sink slightly i.e. 0.5cm - 1cm then drains over a few secs.

taking the scenario of the washing machine draining the water starts off draining okay i.e. you can hear it ... then you hear it backing up until it reaches the sink plughole and beyond :(

ideally, i'd like sections C to be shorter, thus creating a longer clear drop between water sitting in the u bend and where it enters from the washing machine nozzle and sinks. i'd achieve this by inserting a small additional section of pipework between sections A and B. i'm thinking the longer section of clear pipework will buy the main waste a bit of drainage time and lessen chances of water backing up into sink when washing machine drains or a 1/2 sink full of water is released at once. what do you reckon?

or, 'if' there's an issue with slow draining water from the flat as a whole, is altering the plumbing i've done a waste of time i.e. will it make no difference?

Sponsored Links
Looks all right. You could have cut the same amount off the end of pipes c which would have had the effect of lifting all the pipe work above your shelf meaning that you wouldn't have had to cut so much away. The pipe b going into a by the length shown appears to be telescopic so could have accommodated the raising up of the pipe work. The washing machine pipe appears to be sufficiently low down to ensure drainage away without backing up. I might be tempted to use a jubilee clip on the pipe to secure it in case it works its way off.
It would appear to me that the issue is one of drainage away after your kit. You say you've used drain cleaners, have you used a product called one shot? This is an acid based product available from b+q and is extremely savage so follow all safety advice. If that doesn't work complain to the landlord.

Looks all right. You could have cut the same amount off the end of pipes c which would have had the effect of lifting all the pipe work above your shelf meaning that you wouldn't have had to cut so much away. The pipe b going into a by the length shown appears to be telescopic so could have accommodated the raising up of the pipe work. The washing machine pipe appears to be sufficiently low down to ensure drainage away without backing up. I might be tempted to use a jubilee clip on the pipe to secure it in case it works its way off.
It would appear to me that the issue is one of drainage away after your kit. You say you've used drain cleaners, have you used a product called one shot? This is an acid based product available from b+q and is extremely savage so follow all safety advice. If that doesn't work complain to the landlord.

thanks for reply and advice. i 'think' that was as far as section b would extend but i'll check just in case. i thought it might be an issue further down the line :( haven't tried one shot, will look for it.

might take it up with the local authority if above doesn't resolve. thanks again.

you won't believe this (i didn't!) but the jubilee clip was causing a leak as it was slightly distorting the rubber end of the washing machine waste, so i just left it without. it's very difficult to get on so i'm relatively confident it won't work off ... he says like a fool ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back