small leak from radiator drain cock

M

Merrily

Hi all,

Please forgive the use of non technical terms and the fact that I'm being a bit useless.

I have a very slight leak (more of a slow drip :D ) coming from the draincock? (the bit where you fix a hosepipe on to the radiator when emptying). I'm hoping it's just because the plumber who used it to drain the system a few weeks ago, didn't tighten in up enough.

Trouble is i can't work out what or where to tighten - how do you open and close it?.

Help!!

thank you

Sponsored Links
Is the drain cock inside your property?

There should be a square nut that you would normally tighten up.

If your plumber worked on it then I would ask him to return, as when ever I drain down a heating system via the drain cock, I ALWAYS fit a new rubber.

Don't try and undo!!!

Andy

Try turning the square nut on drain off very slightly. Dont over do it you may make it worse! Tightening is clockwise btw!
As HeartsDrainage says, real pro's change the washer, but thats another story.
I had one the other week where the washer had melded itself to the seating and ripped the brass seating off.
Brass, like other things this day and age aint what they used to be!

Never use an adjusable on the square nut. Pinch it up with a 7mm spanner - but not force it. If it still weeps, get your plumber back - as said, proper tradesmen change the washer if is used to drain. Its non-sinsicle not to.

Sponsored Links
We seem to be assuming that it's one of these:
Radiator-Valve-With-Drain-Off-Cock_large.jpg

whereas it could be one of these:
pegler-ang-drainoff.gif
standard-drainoff.gif

If it's one of the second type, at the top of the bit where you attach a hose to drain off there is a screwdriver slot, probably covered by a small cap. (White plastic as seen in the picture on the left.)

Thanks for all your help folks,

It is similar to the first picture except turned 90 degrees anti clockwise - weird.

I gave up in the end (due to lack of correct tools and fear of a flood) and called the plumber who is coming back to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back