Help, please! i think i need to replace my diaphragm!!

D

diane1

merry boxing day guys!

my loo wont flush properly, ive had a look inside and a surf on the net and am assuming its the diaphram that needs to be replaced.
i seem to have the 3 part "thingy" inside my cistern which is supposed to be the easier one!! lol

can someone please talk me through doing this ??
also......what do i buy?

;) thanks, Diane

Sponsored Links
The three part thingy (otherwise known as a syphon) should be held together with plastic split pins. After releasing the s clip form the top of the syphon you should be able to take a pin out and remove the section containing the diaphragm. You can buy replacement diaphragms but the cheapest way is to cut a new one out of a decent thickness waste sack.

Mike

As a temporary measure keep a bucket of water in the closet, chuck it into the bowl after you have been. As good or better than a cystern.

Sometimes there is a large nurled nut holding the part of the syphon containing the plunger and diaphragm to the part which passes through the body of the cistern. Undo this nut, lift up sometims first need to remove flush handle and mechanism first.

replace diaphragm with one the same. There are a number of shapes and sizes.

If not this type then you have to shut off water supply, bail out water undo tap connector to cistern. Undo screws to wall, undo two wing nuts holding cistern down onto back of bowl. Remove, take entire syphon out, probably best after going this far to replace with an entirely new one. Adjust the water quantity according to your old one as the cistern and bowl are designed to work together with a particular amount of water. Upset this balance and you'll need the bucket frequently.

siphon....... i knew that, lol

ok, am now going to go have a look for the s clip.
thanks for the advice......i expect ill be back for more

;) Diane

Sponsored Links
:cry:

help!!!!! how can 2 pieces of advice b soooooooo different?

i dont like the long version.......it looks 2 hard!

Take the cistern lid off and have a look. Then you know whether to panic or not.

2 different sorts of 3 part syphons.

Mike

ive unscrewed nut indicated and yes it does all just come off, now what?
which bit do i change
also should i have emptied the cistern as im getting very wet! lol lol

diane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back