Inverter no load power requirments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at averts for inverters I have found one which states it uses 0.7A under no load conditions but non of the others publish figures. What I want to know is what is the comparison between using a 150W inverter plus a 600W each connected to one item or a 1000W inverter running all the time?

I have a 150W I can measure but no idea of tick over power requirements for larger units. Except for a 3000W version which states 0.7A.

Sponsored Links
I've often seen 10w bounded about as a quiescent current rating for small-ish inverters, so 0.7A sounds reasonable @ 12v. You will be better off with a single inverter, as these tend to be quite lossy devices, and using more than one will very likely be the least efficient of the two options. The quiescent current of 0.7A will be nothing in comparison to full load current at 600w, which would be 50A.

My son was up today and we were talking about this. First thought was some contactor that could auto isolate when no load. But as we looked we realised this would likely double the quiescent current rating so not really an option.

Isolator would of course be required likely manual although I remember Bosch (German) did an isolator used on DAF trucks and Mercedes mini buses which I will look into to see current used.

Durite catalogue seems first but my son has my copy.

Wind Charger or Solar panel next to look at to at least replace the 0.7A so that the inverter can be left on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back