cordless headset for theatre crew

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am involved with a local theatre. We currently have a PABX with outlets at gallery and backstage and curtain points, but use radio headset for gallery/SM communications. We find inexperienced users forget to press the "push to talk" or forget to let it go.

The main sound guy has recommended a duplex headset. There are sufficient wired points already. but as it is wired, when the crew wander away from their stations or forget to plug back in, no comms,

I wondered if there is a wireless duplex system.

Any better suggestions?

We will want about 6 units and could afford a £thousand or so if need be.

Sponsored Links
Is your current setup your bog standard theatre comms system with 3 pin XLR sockets at various points around the building which you plug a belt pack into, and then your cans into the belt pack?

it has 3-pin round sockets, each about 20mm diameter, which I suppose means yes

that is the sort of belt pack/headset we have been looking at

but as it is not cordless it depends on people remembering to go to the right place and plug themselves in

Some walkie-talkies (PMR446 type) have a VOX - voice operated transmitter - function when used with headsets. I would suggest getting professional models (Alan, Motorola, etc) rather than the Lucky Golden Hedgehog Happy Talkie Talkie found in Argos etc.

If you only need them occasionally you can hire then from professional radio suppliers or sometimes places like HSS etc.

Sponsored Links
How many people actually need wireless comms? If it's only a couple like the stage manager and his assistant perhaps, then you might be better looking at some sort of hybrid system, leaving wired comms for people like the lighting, sound and followspot etc. operators who do not generally move from one position during the show.

You could go entirely wireless if you like, but is there likely to be issues of people forgetting to charge their units?

Also to help reduce the cost, you might be able to utilise much of the existing system, and just add a couple of wireless units to it.

yes, it was the gallery folk who wanted the plugged headsets.

usually sound and light can whisper to each other as they are contiguous, but follow-spots are in separate cabins.

do you know if there is a cordless unit that stage crew that can link to the plugged circuits?

we do not have a prob with charging the wireless headsets as this is part of the nightly routine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back