Crimp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exploring the ratchet crimper.

Tried some pictures.
I am sure the crimp deformation will be different with an inserted wire providing resistence...

A...
Crimp-2aa.jpg

The crimped tube in A, above, was deformed with the larger arc jaw profile in B as shown.

B...
Crimp-1ab.jpg

The tube in B has been deformed using the jaw profile in A. In this case the tube has been shaped into a smooth oval section without the split edges overlapping...

A couple of Q's.

If the distinctly differing jaw profiles, twixt one side of the tool and the other are the norm, which jaw should be crimping the inner metal tube?

Can someone explain the correct method and if there is a trick to positioning the tube split seam to best benefit the crimp?
:?:

Sponsored Links
Hi.

The correct use of this tool is as in picture A.

You will see that the insulated part of the crimp is deformed in a diamond shape. This is what Ampliversal call PIDG or pre insulated diamond grip.

This is designed to grip the insulation to prevent flexing of the cable strands and failure of the cable as it enters the crimp.

The jaw shown in picture B is to crimp the metal insert onto the cable strands.

Bit nerdy I know but I used to teach this stuff. :)

Hugh.

Sponsored Links
Driller said:
Hi.

The correct use of this tool is as in picture A.

You will see that the insulated part of the crimp is deformed in a diamond shape. This is what Ampliversal call PIDG or pre insulated diamond grip.

This is designed to grip the insulation to prevent flexing of the cable strands and failure of the cable as it enters the crimp.

The jaw shown in picture B is to crimp the metal insert onto the cable strands.

Bit nerdy I know but I used to teach this stuff. :)

Hugh.

Searched the net pretty hard but that info was not easily found.

Can see the 'diamond' shape gripping the insulation in davelx's pix ...

Cheers folks.
:D

Have you seen the price of tyco's PIDG tools, worked with them every day for 5 years, last for ever but still no excuse for the price.Mainly used in the aircraft industry which is why they get away with the price.

Tyco also being rayfast and raychem.

Terminals for them generally made by AMP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back