Help me remove my radiator please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, can you please explain how I remove this radiator? I am decorating you see and need to fit new scurtins as well, has to come off.

I have no idea which nut to unscrew. Does the water need to be switched off as well? And what's that about clockwise to un-screw? Has it always been the opposite to normal nuts&bolts?

please help, do i remove A,B or C?
thx

radiator_a.jpg

radiator_B.jpg

radiator_C.jpg

Please excuse my lack of understanding. :?:

Sponsored Links
LMAO - Let me see the damage when it all goes pear shaped :D

Ok; left hand side; make sure the bit above A is turned off (Clockwise) and undo nut C

Right hand side; make sure that TRV is turned fully off and undo nut B

Best of luck with this as not all TRV's shut fully and can open up randomly if they get too cold ;)

Tighten spindle A on second picture, counting the number of turns (important that).

Close the big thermostatic handle on top right hand side of rad.

Now with rag, bucket, and helper open the bleed screw and drain the water out until it stops. If it does not stop you are goosed.

When it stops you now the the second valve you utnred has shut off completely.

Good news that.

Now with bucket, and helper, tighten the bleed screw again, and undo the nut B on the third picture. Ping the valve out of the way and hold thumb tightly over radiator opening.

Get helper ('cos this is the messy one) to repeat the process with nut C on second picture.

Rad will now lift off wall and be carried outside where you can remove fingers and pour sludge down the drain.

Would advise either working effing quickly and reversing the process, or getting off cut of pipe with nut and olive and cap to temporaily make sure that if the thermostatic valve decides to open you don't get a different kind of decor than you intend. Or an even more elegant solution would be to have a 1/2" black iron cap ready to screw onto trv thread if it won't shut off fully.

;) :p

Could have a 1/2" black iron cap ready to screw onto trv thread if it won't shut off fully.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the advice and help :)

I will do this tomorrow, because I have not got a spanner that fits :eek: Have to buy one, is it a 24mm spanner that's needed?

thanks again

Couldn't tell you what size they are, I use adjustable ones that fit nearly everything.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help. Couldn't of done it without you, no problem getting it off. ;) Though it was quite scary un-doing the last nut, got a right facefull of water so I screwed it back in, but as you adviced, I popped it off quickly again, then into the bucket.

My first ever radiator removal, It feels good :LOL: Thank You :mrgreen:

And now I can spray paint the radiator as well. :idea:

radoff.jpg

BTW the TRV seems ok, slight drip but nothing major ;)

Be aware that you have been lucky!

Many older TRVs ( like yours ) leak, sometimes quite badly !

Another problem is that water is often quite black and stains anything that gets wet.

Tony

8) Well done

:arrow: Now you just gotta get it back on when the works done.... My tip; use a small amount of PTFE on the olives attached to the tails on the rad - Not too much; just enough to ensure a good seal is made.

morg said:
Though it was quite scary un-doing the last nut, got a right facefull of water so I screwed it back in, but as you adviced, I popped it off quickly again, then into the bucket.

I told you to put a firend at that end ;) :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back