Soffit Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the soffit board on the gable end of the house, the problem is that I only have limited side access to the property and there is a smaller roof protruding from the side of the house making it virtually impossible to lean a ladder against the end wall. What is the best way to gain access to the gable end? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cherry picker will be easier and quicker, bit tricky with long lengths though. Do you need a permit for them at home?

Given the cost of hire it may be cheaper getting quotes for the job.

Actually, when I suggested a cherry picker, I had my tongue in my cheek. But, I've just found this site on the internet. If the "price"s they quote are daily rates, it wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

As you say, dealing with the length could be a problem but not insurmountable. It may be possible to fit a screw in eye, to one end, tie it up, move to the other end, fit it properly, then back to the first, remove the string and fit it properly.

Permits? Don't know about that. May be worth checking.

Tex.......thought you meant it. Seriously a cherry pickers fine and probably a lot cheaper for this job. Main cost for short term is the delivery. If it can be reached with the towable type and newpark7 as access to transport with a towbar, it is worthwhile.

I did mine by starting in the middle(ish)of a run and fixing then cutting the ends/middle with a jigsaw in situ. no problem.

With the battery powered cherry pickers, I wouldn't want to be using it when the battery goes flat! Get someone to hook up a genny whilst you wait to get down again :LOL:

I reckon you could do it with a cherry picker. I have seen the framework for a large supermarket assembled pretty much entirely from aboard a fleet of cherry pickers, so I doubt soffit board would be a problem.

Plus, think of the DIY respect points you will earn. Hiring a cherry picker has to be on a par with a pneumatic drill. If you are going to go this route, it could be worth making a list of any other jobs you could to do whilst you have it... replace a missing tile, clean the gutters, wash the windows.

Tex.......thought you meant it
Never had a problem with the practicallity, just thought they'd be exhorbitantly expensive to hire out. They also sell used units fairly reasonably.

I want one now :) Now that really is being unpractical, got nowhere to store it :(

Theres a guy near us who uses one of those ex council trucks with a cherry picker on the roof. Presumably he still as some room inside for tools etc.

He does odd jobs like gutters,soffits,tree pruning etc. Obviously he can't get everywhere with the truck. Steady little business really and the van probably cost less than a normal one.

Hi all

Thanks for the many replies, I followed the web link supplied by TexMex for cherry pickers and it so happens that they have a branch in Southampton which is about 10 miles from me - really handy.

They have confirmed a daily rate of £39.00 which includes a quick crash course (no pun intended) on how to use it, they were really helpful and are the only company that will hire to the general public, I had tried the cherry picker route before but every one I spoke to would only hire to account holders that have contracters insurance.

Apparently they are engine or mains powered so no battery problems either.

Thanks again

You could recoup the £39 by attaching an elasticated rope and allowing people to bungee jump off it after you have finished the soffits. ;)

AdamW said:
You could recoup the £39 by attaching an elasticated rope and allowing people to bungee jump off it after you have finished the soffits. ;)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But really £39 quid???? That's very cheap. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back