3 phase current

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone,

Trying to remember how to specify cable for a three phase motor.

Motor rated at 6kVA.

6000 VA /230 V = 26.1 A

26.1 A/ 3 = 8.7A.

Am I right in thinking that each phase will carry 8.7A, and so the (3+E) cable must be spec'd to carry 8.7 A ?

Seems too simple to be true...

Sponsored Links
I = (kVA x1000) / (V x root3)

In your case that equates to 8.66A per phase.

Cheers Garymo,

Apart from using the wrong voltage & forgetting to squareroot the 3, I was correct.

Memory is not what it used to be. Coincidence that my (incorrect) method gives very nearly the right answer - two wrongs almost making a right...

Thanks, David

I thought so - pretty darn close!

Obviously you worked out that V in this case is 400.

Sponsored Links
Hallo Garymo,

Yes, got there in the end !

Thanks for your help, David

Would you not only need the PF if the power was quoted in kW?
I was only asking because motors are normally rated in watts/kW or in old money horse power. I was just wondering how he arrived at 6kVA.

4.8kW @ 0.8PF?

Stunlawless got the right answer because there's nothing wrong with his calculation! Think of his method as considering the load being shared equally by three 230V single-phase supplies, which is basically what a 3-phase supply is. :)

230 x (sqrt 3) = 398.37

close enough to spit on...

and it's

VA / V / Sqrt 3... not VA / ( V x Sqrt 3 )

Stunlawless got the right answer because there's nothing wrong with his calculation! Think of his method as considering the load being shared equally by three 230V single-phase supplies, which is basically what a 3-phase supply is. :)

OK...try the same with 80kVA and see what you get!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back