Polo fuel tank. Again...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=151564

Well a patch and a repatch using JB Weld and Petro Patch respectively did the trick for a while and got me through the MOT. But now it's leaking again and as the weather has warmed up, i guess it's time for a new tank. Embarrassing question time :oops:

Do I need a tank for an injection or non-injection model???

The car. Mk3 1991 1.3 breadvan, CL catalyst. the engine code is AAV.

The manual seems to suggest a single or multi-point injection, but resellers are selling tanks for injection or non-injection models and I'm not sure which I need.

Sponsored Links
If it has a cat, it'll be injection (probably monotronic)

If it has a cat, it'll be injection (probably monotronic)

Yeh, something in the manual about Bosch monotronic. I somehow knew you would be the man with the answer.

Cheers

The fuel tanks are physically the same - its the depth where the lift pump fits into from the top (injection) or fuel gauge float (carburettor) which makes them not interchangeable. Usually you can wriggle them out with the rear exhaust pipe off, but I've had 1 or 2 that needed the rear subframe bracket released on the offside to give room. Try not to trap the tank breather pipe - visible under a plastic plug below the rear seat area when you reinstall.

Sponsored Links
I posted this originally:
We had this happen on a '93 Polo that my family owned a few years back. It is a common problem on Golfs and Polos of this period. The leak comes from the filler neck; not actually the tank itself so the smell will no doubt be at its most intense after filling. It is possible to obtain a fibreglass neck repair kit but it is as expensive as replacing the entire tank. We got ours from Europarts for about £80, if I recall, and it cost a similar amount to have fitted. Incidentally, it is also slightly larger than the original tank by about 5 or 6 litres. To do this the fuel system needs to be depressurised, so it might be worth considering replacing the fuel filter whilst you are about it.

It looks like the this item is now £175 + vat at Europarts. But GSF have something very similar. I do not recall there being an issue between injection or carburettor versions, though.

I have modified my earlier post as the clicky did not work properly. This is the detail: Part No 29318 FUEL TANK PO (Lead Free Fuel) 10/90 >7/94 £69.50 + vat

The fuel pump unit is deeper than the float unit for the carb. car - as I found to my cost! This was a 1993 polo coupe, spfi, and I had to take the tank back....after I had painted it!

Thanks for all advice. I got a new one on fleabay for about £75 all in. VW charge about £230 for an original!!!

I've had the tank off before when I repaired and repainted it. A most frustrating job :evil: At least I'll know what I'm doing this time, :rolleyes:

Back