Smelly neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It appears our joining neighbours on the new house have a bit of a herbal habit :cry:

Whilst I'm of a live-n-let-live philosophy I don't like the fact that certain ajoining roooms of my house will also smell 'herbal'.

It's a 60's terrace with a single course of cinderblock adjoining, the floor-joists run front to back, but I think the floorboards run under the party wall upstairs.

Part of the problem I believe is that the ground floor arrangement has a pair of alcoves (one ours, the others theirs) that cross the party line, this means that in our alcove upstairs is their master bedroom, and vice versa.

In that way it's the master bedroom and the alcove end of the lounge that smell the most.

Before I put the carpet back in the master bedroom is there a product or a technique I can use to effectively seal the boundary? I've already tried stuffing some fiberglass into the void under the floorboards to no avail.

I'm sure carpets and soft furnishings will help reduce the odour, but I can't risk redecorating to find the room still stinks.

Anyone got any other (sensible) thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Are you absolutely sure the neighbours are not using the property to grow something illegal?? Real give aways are the 10mm twin and earth connected into the lampost outside. Curtains constantly drawn, No one seems to be there at night, only a couple of times a day.
;) ;) ;)

Are you absolutely sure the neighbours are not using the property to grow something illegal?? Real give aways are the 10mm twin and earth connected into the lampost outside. Curtains constantly drawn, No one seems to be there at night, only a couple of times a day.
;) ;) ;)

Oh they're there at night alright - last night we heard them breeding :rolleyes:

It appears our joining neighbours on the new house have a bit of a herbal habit :cry:

Anyone got any other (sensible) thoughts?
Uh , like ah , not right now, man . Chill for a while and I`ll uh. like think of something , yeah:cool:

Sponsored Links
Uh , like ah , not right now, man . Chill for a while and I`ll uh. like think of something , yeah:cool:

Nige, er, dude...I reckon it's your turn to go down, the garage and stuff. Get some more doritos, oh and a kit kat, Oh, and another bottle of pepsi.
sweeet! :mrgreen:

;) ;) ;)

Oh they're there at night alright - last night we heard them breeding :rolleyes:

THAT made me laff that did :LOL: :LOL:

Decided to 'paint' every aspect of the boundary - walls, ceiling and floors (of cupboards) with 2 thick coats of 50% PVA. I think it might be working, though I've since developed a headcold (ingested too much brick dust perhaps) so it'll be a while to tell how effective this will be.

The moral dilemma still remains, as neighbours they'd be tolerable if they'd cut the skunk, and as we're new into the area we don't really know if we're dealing with the community stoners, or the local drugs kingpin.

We lived next to an Asian family in a house similar to yours (it turned out that they owned a curry house and were illegally preparing some of the food off-site).

I put mastic (decorator's caulk is far cheaper) in the gap between the floorboards and the skirting boards.

Hope this helps.

Yep, got a few tubes of that stuff. We'll probably get in in behind any loose ones then put them back, there's a few floorboards that are 'removable' - for wiring access..

Turns out both the missus and I have got headcolds at the moment, so can't smell a thing - not quite the solution I was looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back