plastic or metal cable sheathing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running some 6 core alarm cable down unplastered block walls of a new extension. Is there a preference for plastic or metal cable sheathing??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sheathing is the outer casing of a cable.

The standard domestic products for protecting cables are:
Plastic capping, provides next to none protection.
Metal capping, a bit better than the above.
Round and oval plastic trunking, if it does get damaged there is a chance of pulling in new cables.

I would only ever use 20mm plastic oval conduit.

Thanks

Im running 6 core intruder alarm cable

IMGP3408.jpg

Thanks

Im running 6 core alarm cable to power some electronic door releases in a residential care home new extension. Blockwork walls pre-plaster

I have a bundle of unused metal 'capping' i can use. Would this be acceptable?

Is that supposed to be some kind of cryptic message.
No.

Steel conduit is not a "standard domestic product", please read what I said.
No reason why it can't be - the world does not have to restrict itself to your limited horizons.

Or are you suggesting that the op spends £500+ on a vice/bender, 20mm dies, steel conduit, bushes, couplings
I'm suggesting that it's a valid option.

I didn't know at the time, nor am I psychic, but the guy is a professional installer, so why not?

Thanks

Im running 6 core alarm cable to power some electronic door releases in a residential care home new extension. Blockwork walls pre-plaster

Any fire resistance requirements?

Should you be doing this work when you're clearly not qualified to do it?

Thanks

Any fire resistance requirements?

Should you be doing this work when you're clearly not qualified to do it?

I am qualified thank you. I was asking for advice on metal or plastic sheathing. Most work I carry out is surface fitted rather than new extensions.

No fire resistance requirements needed.

I am qualified thank you.
You may have some qualifications.

That doesn't mean that you are qualified to do this work, and asking for advice on how to install cables on a DIY site is not indicative of a professional who knows what he's doing.

I know how to install the cables, i was merely asking what peoples preferences to capping were. Metal or plastic. Simple.

Your initial response of 'not another one' wasnt very well received and to follow it up with just a photo wasnt much better.

I wasnt asking to be judged on my capabilites and would rather you didnt respond in that matter. Go and bump up your amazing post count elsewhere. Ignored

I wasnt asking to be judged. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back