low level wc cistern failing to flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a low level wc and have recently found that the handle has to be pumped several times before the system flushes. I have checked the water level in the cistern and that's perfectly alright. I am not a plumber, but looking inside the cistern everything looks clean and appears to be operating correctly. Help please!!! :(

Sponsored Links
The diaphragm has gone in your syphon. Simply a piece of plastic that lifts the water over the top of the syphon when you lift the plunger, costs about a quid usually, or you can make one out of a thick plastic sack

Hornblower said:
Sorry to be a pest, but how do I get at the diaphragm. :confused:

The syphon has to come out! unless you are lucky then its possible you have the type of syphon that can be worked on without having to strip the wc down.

Post a pic or two for precise instructions

Sponsored Links
Just post the image URL here, inserted between an
b] tag and an [b]
tag.

On photobucket Click on the bit that says IMG code. The address is automatically copied just as if you had right clicked and selected copy.

Then click on the diynot typing window then press Ctrl + V [or right click and paste] to post it in here.

The address should appear something like the following http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/Hornblower/Hornblowerspicture.jpg[/ IMG]

When you preview or submit you will see the picture

Same happened to me but i replaced it with one of those pushbutton kits from B+Q etc for about £19 works a treat and flushes much better. Only takes an hour at the most to fit.

That's a single-part siphon, which means that you need to remove it from the cistern in order to gain access to the diaphragm washer.

1. Isolate the cold supply to the cistern.
2. Flush the WC.
3. Sponge (or wet vac) out the remaining water.
4. If close coupled then remove cistern from pan and wall.
5. If not close coupled then detach flush pipe from siphon.
6. Unscrew backnut and remove siphon.
7. Either replace entire siphon with a two-piece (to ease future maintenance), or replace just the washer.
8. Install siphon. Consider using silicone sealant (belt and braces).
9. If close coupled then ensure that you use brass screws when reattaching the cistern to the wall, and consider using a new doughnut washer.
10. If not close coupled then reattach flush pipe.
11. Reinstate cold supply and test.

Thanks guys for your help!! The job was quite easy in the end - but I would have struggled without your help. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back