Condenser bolier in the loft??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to have central heating install in our home.
A plumber came around and gave us a quote, I asked about putting the boiler in the loft, but he said this might be a bad idea, something to do with the time the water heats up and the flow would take a while?? He mentioned putting it in a bedroom and disguising it with a cupboard.

Most people I know have the boilers in the loft, I was after a second opinion from another Professional any ideas please???

Our loft is all boarded out by the way.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
stevedeanlm said:
the time the water heats up and the flow would take a while
How far away from the proposed location to your furthest hot water draw off

stevedeanlm said:
Our loft is all boarded out by the way.

It will also need fixed lighting and a suitable access ladder

The furthest hot water draw off will be the kitchen. The place in the loft where I would like to put the boiler is below the kitchen more or less. (Loft -top floor, Landing second floor, directly underneath the landing is the kitchen).

Thanks

Steve

stevedeanlm said:
Most people I know have the boilers in the loft

Really? most boilers I see are in kitchens, utility rooms etc. Best to avoid a bedroom if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
For how long are you expecting to be capable of going into the loft to press the reset button?

never put a boiler in a loft;
when it leaks u will have a ruined ceiling ..
when the pressure is 0 you will not see so boiler will lockout if lucky,seize its pump if it is an Isar
if it catches fire your house will burn down
if it leaks gas you wont smell it ,you will hear it
leaks r more common on condensing boilers
you need to construct a barrier around the loft hatch
you need isolating valves outside the loft (extra cost & unsightley)
modern boilers r so small ,space saved is minimal
enough yet ?

lor said:
when the pressure is 0 you will not see so boiler will lockout if lucky,seize its pump if it is an Isar
enough yet ?

What utter tripe..............and thats all I have to say on the matter.

if you cannot justify your opinion then keep it to yourself

Dont take my word for it , read the BUILDING REGS for boilers in lofts.

Justification then.

Your post is based on what ifs..you could live your whole life worrying about what ifs but it would be a pretty sad life.

when it leaks you have ruined your ceiling............when a car leaks oil you have ruined your drive.

when the pressure is on 0 you will not see it........i dont spend my life staring at my boilers pressure guage thats kinda sad. dont fit an isar if your worried about the pump. if you are that sad to monitor the pressure then a pressure guage can be fitted somewhere you can see it.

If it catches fire the house will burn down...yes fires are hot and tend to do that but the same would applly to a kitchen or bedroom or study.

If it leaks gas you wont smell it...........if i pass wind silently you might not smell it.

Leaks are more common on condensing boiler........nonsense, what crap makes do you install?

You need to contruct a barrier around the hatch......20min job from pittance materials...okay a joiner £50 or diy a fiver

You need isolating valves........do you? this is news to me

Modern boilers are so small...id sooner have an extra kitchen cupboard thanks

HarrogateGas said:
lor said:
enough yet ?

What utter tripe..............and thats all I have to say on the matter.
Total *******s I agree

My boilers in the loft old cdi been up there 3 years never had a problem, install lots of boilers in lofts often the only suitable place in terraced houses. I thought the requirement for a handrail had been dropped

The hand rail is only for people who are scared of lofts and come up with reems of excuses as above :LOL:

Stan

I have a boiler in the loft now I come to think about it!

1972 CH502 !

Tony

Agile said:
I have a boiler in the loft now I come to think about it!

1972 CH502 !

Tony
I think I still have an overheat stat and T/C for onbe of those Tony if you ever need it.
You must be the only person left with one :)

Stan

P.S Hope you havent got the front taped up cos you know thats an incomplete seal now dont you. :LOL:

Justification then.

Your post is based on what ifs..you could live your whole life worrying about what ifs but it would be a pretty sad life.

when it leaks you have ruined your ceiling............when a car leaks oil you have ruined your drive.

when the pressure is on 0 you will not see it........i dont spend my life staring at my boilers pressure guage thats kinda sad. dont fit an isar if your worried about the pump. if you are that sad to monitor the pressure then a pressure guage can be fitted somewhere you can see it.

If it catches fire the house will burn down...yes fires are hot and tend to do that but the same would applly to a kitchen or bedroom or study.

If it leaks gas you wont smell it...........if i pass wind silently you might not smell it.

Leaks are more common on condensing boiler........nonsense, what rubbish makes do you install?

You need to contruct a barrier around the hatch......20min job from pittance materials...okay a joiner £50 or diy a fiver

You need isolating valves........do you? this is news to me

Modern boilers are so small...id sooner have an extra kitchen cupboard thanks

From a plumber who loves loft installs, I totally agree!

I always install pressure guage and filling loop in the airing cupboard even if the boiler has an internal loop (along with controls).
I do this as the Glow worms RPZ vlv always fail.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back