Installing Boiler in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My present boiler is the garage and I have a Megaflo tank in the loft.

The boiler needs replacing. I had a Corgi registered plumber come to survey my property. He said that there are too many bends in the pipes connecting the boiler to the Megaflo and the heating systems and it might be better to sight the boiler in the loft next to the tank. The gas supply to the boiler will run up the side wall and through the loft.

This way I will be able to get rid to much of the pipework that runs up across then down in the garage and then in the floor across the passage-way and up through the clearance in the cupboard to the first floor and finally to the loft. He said that with so many bends in the pipes, it creates air locks in the system.

The pump and the valves are in the loft.

The thing I am worried about is whether it a good idea to have the boiler in the loft and secondly for the gas supply pipe to run up the side wall.

All views would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a big fan of boilers in the loft, if you resell to somebody unable to access the loft whenever a reset is required it may put off potential housebuyers.

Would be much better to move the megaflo to the garage :idea:

Would be much better to move the megaflo to the garage :idea:
Seems the obvious thing to do really.

And, op, he should be gassafe registered (corgi is now defunct) and you should check the validity of his number online http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ together with him being G3 competent to deal with the unvented cylinder (maybe he's not, and that's why he'd rather move the mountain to mohammed ;) )

Sponsored Links
Needs boarding from boiler to hatch. Needs a shoot down ladder and a proper switched light over boiler and all accessible parts: hatch, boarded area. Modern boilers have anti-frost protection.

Not all manufacturers are keen to go into lofts to carry out warranty calls.

Ditto the warranty calls.

Unless there's running boards, permanent lighting and loft ladder, some manufacturers won't touch it.

'elf and safety, you know!

George Bramwell is back again from his respite care!

Not all manufacturers are keen to go into lofts to carry out warranty calls.

Its odd! I will not go into a seriously deficient loft for a manufacturer.

But for a paying client I will try my best in the dark with my feet spanning the joists!

Tony

But for a paying client I will try my best in the dark with my feet spanning the joists!

Tony
Are you sure that you're happy with the wording here Tony- it could be misconstrued if quoted out of context ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

so many bends in the pipes, it creates air locks in the system

That's a new one

What "school of plumbing" has he come through.

There are a few other reasons but not that one.

Agile wrote:

Through 3 feet of glass wool!

Scruff-tdr020.jpg

:evil:

Through 3 feet of glass wool!

Lofts without lighting or flooring dont have insulation either!

Not always people without the means to pay for it either! I know an accountant with a nice house worth about 900k who has no insulation at all!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back