Megaflo Loft Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working in the loft at the moment clearing it, wiring lights and power and laying walkways throughout. I know that i will be upgrading the plumbing in the next 6 - 12 months to include a megaflo cylinder and want to locate it in the loft. The floor plans are as below with the boiler located in the garage. There is a false wall in the bedroom above the garage which is being used to run electrics and data from floor to floor so could also house plumbing at the same time. I had thought that the boiler could feed the cylinder via this void up to the loft.

Whilst working on the loft i want to install a base and backing wall to carry the cylinder and power for it. My question is where is the best place to locate it. I don't know if its best to be nearer the bathrooms closer to the boiler or what. Obviously needs a release drain pipe to the external wall which i would rather run down the right hand side of the house or left if not.

Please advise where the best location will be. The loft is fully accessible when you are u there.

Attachments

• Megaflow Layout.pdf
    259.2 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
The main consideration is getting your d2 pipe with enough fall where you would prefer it.

don’t worry about the closer to the shower boiler thing. just wherever you’d prefer the discharge pipe to be located

Thanks - OK so discharge pipe governs location. Does the discharge pipe have to terminate into or above a drain or can it terminate above a side path (ie 200mm above not a few meters).

Just google mega flow manual and all the information is there.
Or any unvented manual as the discharge instructions will be the same

Sponsored Links
Into a trapped gulley. That's a bit of a balls as my gullies are quite a run away

Go read it properly! There’s more than a trapped gully. it can be terminated almost anywhere as long as it’s safe

Do you know your mains supply can supply enough dynamic pressure and flow to satisfy an unvented cylinder and the rest of the house? No point installing until you have that information.

The rest of the installation is pretty straight forward for a qualified engineer. I would suggest, when feasible, to have a site survey performed by a qualified, experienced and recommended installer.

Another major consideration is whether the joists are capable of taking the weight. A 250 litre tank weighs over 1/4 tonne when full. If you currently have a cold water storage cistern (CWSC) in the loft, this would probably be a good place to have the unvented hot water cylinder installed as the CWSC will go.
As suggested above, installing an unvented hot water cylinder is NOT a DIY undertaking. The installation has to be registered with your local building control department. This is normally done as a self certification by the G3 qualified engineer who installs it.

I am not planning on installing the system. The thought hasnt even crossed my mind. I just want to build a suitable base/housing for it for a future install whilst working up there on other bits. One of the considerations (as i will be going for the 250ltr unit) is weight spread. There are 2 water tanks up there already but not as big as 250ltrs. I was thinking about installing additional timbers across the existing joists to spread the load.

If it's going where the water tanks are currently then just check the content of the current tanks - 1L = 1KG then extrapolate what their weight is.

Check the floor thickness and where the joists are to ensure the weight distribution will be adequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back