17th Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked in the WIKI and used the Search facility but have not found an answer to the question,
What is the minimum score to achieve a pass in the 17th edition exam?
No relevant reason for asking, just curious.

Sponsored Links
So in theory if you only get 50% of the questions right you are still classed as having passed?

Doesn't seem right to me.

No it doesn't work like that.When they say there isn't a minimum score they mean they don't publish a lowest point score to get a pass.I have been told it can vary from day to day as a percentage mark of the scores by the people taking the test that day. Also the paper is split into sections and one poor section could get you a fail even every other section is correct. Nobody should be aiming to scrape through with as low a score as posible , they should be trying to have a good and full understanding of the regs as this is the purpose of the test ,to prove an understanding.

Sponsored Links
If it asked questions purely on 17th Edition and on what you need to know I would agree but some of the questions are on the appendix and quite obscure.

Appendix 1 for example in the main is not used and asking questions about appendix 1 is to my mind silly.

The Exam should be on 17th Edition and end at Page 226.

It is all about time and unless one can answer some without looking in the book you will run out of time.

Old boys have more of a problem as we know old answers and too easy to quickly give old answer instead of new where new boys don't know old answer.

I did wonder as I am diagnosed dyslexic if I could get extra time? Did not try and yes I got one wrong in appendix section but to get enough wrong to fail I think you must deserve to fail it's not rocket science.

How it is classed as Level 3 I don't know as it seems far easier than a "A" Level.

You can still find the Appendix answers by looking in the index and that appears to me to be what the exam is testing. The Appendices are almost the practical application of the regulations and as such are more relevant to the working day of a domestic electrician than the rest of it. Would agree that is it no way close to an A level, even the modern day A level, not sure where I would pitch it, got to be closer to 11+ standard. It's a test of exam technique and not knowledge and as such is unfair. Never come across an exam like it.

Yes, and they are tougher. You also need to be assessed in order to get on the competent person register so there is some degree of protection for the householder. Suppose if you made it too hard though then supply of electricians would drop so prices would go up so there is a balance.

As I said, the regs exam is a very strange exam indeed. I left the room knowing more about electrics than when I walked in, one of the questions was on a subject I had not come across, so I used the index to find the answer, then read that paragraph and thought 'well I never knew that'. Got the answer right too. A very unfair exam, IMO. Goes some way to explaning why there is so much misunderstanding of the regs on here.

So in theory if you only get 50% of the questions right you are still classed as having passed?

Doesn't seem right to me.

No, the pass mark is relative to the scores being achieved, it can vary exam to exam. Not sure how they work it out? but normally up in 80%+ mark, when I took mine it was rumoured the pass mark was 87%
It is a 2 hour gola exam with 60 questions, your allowed a copy of BS7671:2008 and The OSG.
It is very much knowing your way around the book, but it does help to have some knowledge between the ears.

There is no practical exam!

Well not on the theoretical aspect of the regulations themselves, it's a theory exam, but you need to pass an additional written and practical exam in order to self certify compliance with Part P, which I suspect is what Gees is asking about. I could be wrong of course. The written part is what might be considered a real exam where knowlegde of the subject matter is required in order to pass. So yes, , you need to pass a practical inspection and testing exam - eventually.

It is a comprehension test, but thats exactly what they want to see - the ability of a spark to see a situation and then look for the answer ( in the regs, not on forum ;) )

I believe the pass mark is roughly based on percentile rates, so it depends on the overall scores of all candidates as to the 'pass mark' for that particular test date.

Anybody can overlook an answer in exam conditions, it happens- we're human, but anyone getting less than 85-90% should be questioning their own competance.

So 2382, see problem, find answer in book.
But 2391, see problem, know answer in head.

A bit more difficult, but still not rocket science

part 1 7% questions 4
part 2 5% questions 3
part 3 8% questions 5
part 4 23% questions 14
part 5 25% questions 15
part 6 10% questions 6
part 7 17& questions 10
part8 use of appendices 5% questions 3

total 100% questions 60

I did the 60 question exam, and it involved finding reg numbers apropriate to a situation, finding somthing like say a minimum IP rating of something installed in a specific environment.

Make sure you read the question very carefully. There may be two very similar situations applicable, but the specific wording of the question will direct you to the correct answer.

In my exam there was a cable calc to do aswell.

Many people said the exam was difficult. I think they just didn't put in enough time to study the book properly.

This doesn't answer the OP's question and I believe it's mocks for the 16th but this site is a stirring way to waste a few hours and get an idea of the exam, it's better than Eastenders at least, marginally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back