2 Gang - 2 lights

I have now managed to get the outside light on and the kitchen light on, however they are both working on the same switch......when the outside is off the inside is on and vise versa!!!!!???

Sponsored Links
thats easy

your common is live and each of l1 and l2 is the live feed to each light respetivly

take out the wire in l1 and put it in the other l2 (other half osf same switch)

link the common of the now working switch to the common of the non working switch

(do bear in mind in a 2 way 2 gang switch each switch is upside down in relation to the other) so do look at the terminals before you move any wires

Breezer........
Just tried that and they blew again!
I think im now completely lost and calling it a day and need to call out an electrician!
Thank you for all your help though.....it is really appreciated......THANK YOU.
Steve

shouldnt go bang provided you followed my instruction which were based on the information you gave

Sponsored Links
Steve if it`s possible, it would be considered good practice to pick up the main feed in to the kitchen light and run a cable to the outside light, then your switch live can be wired the same as your kitchen switch live on the avaliable gang. If i have got all the info right it sounds like someone has bridged the phase (live) between the gangs to save them running a feed from the kitchen ceiling rose (if it is a ceiling rose), maybe someone can back me up on this.

Hi Rhino,

Well it seems you are right, I have done what you said and guess what.................Its now working perfectly. All that trouble just because someone originally didnt wire it correctly!!!!!!! Arrgggggggggggg :)

Thank you so much for your advice, I couldnt have done it without you :) :)

Thanks again
A very very grateful Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back