2 pull string switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have two pull switches that i want rid off and replaced by 2 light switches,
they both turn off n on 1 light ....can i remove pull switch and connect the 4 wires blue\ yellow \red\ earth to 2 junction boxes then take the 2 cables to the light switches L1\L2 \ common ?
if so where do the 4 wires go which terminals?obviously i know where earth goes , thanks

Sponsored Links
I would try to avoid using junction boxes to extend the cable and just replace it if possible - less to go wrong at a later date. Remember if you chose to use junction boxes they have to be accessible. Just copy what you have at the pull switches and replicate it at the switches. Remember that before you remove any wires the electric should be OFF and you should have detailed notes of what went where.

Two-way lighting diagrams

Davy

thanks for speedy reply davy, iv done what u said but i cant turn off the light by the alternate switch?but can only turn off light by the switch i turned on by ,is this correct?..does the rule on juction boxes or plastic grommet apply in scotland ?

footnote brown in common \black in L2 \grey in L3 on both switches

brown\red...yellow \grey......black\blue at junction box

I think that even in Scotland junction boxes have to be accessible, where have you put it?

You should be able to turn the light on or off at either switch. Did it work like that before you changed them or only now since the work has been done?

Could you confirm what connections you have made at each switch? Are they the same as before? Have another look at the link I posted, there are many useful diagrams for you to compare with.

Davy

Sponsored Links
think it worked b4 ....junction box in ceiling..oops...but no where else to put it.....as the original cable ended at pull switch therefore had to extend down to new light switch ,the box will be above new ceiling panels with battens

If it is accessible from the loft area you are ok, but you do have to be able to get at it without ripping down a ceiling for it to be classed as accessible.

Check that all the connections are exactly as they were before, if it still doesn't work have a look at the link, it should explain everything.

Davy

im still baffled with this ...no1 switch when turned on for light ... works ok with the no 2 switch ...as in..no 2 switches the light off n on ..but if i switch no1 off ,then no2 doesnt work at all

i have forgotton how it was originally wired
there is only one cable going to each switch

ty

brown in common \black in L2 \grey in L3 on both switches

brown\red...yellow \grey......black\blue at junction box

Not the "approved" colours for the switch but if you change the junction box wiring to put the red from the ceiling rose to the grey ( L3 to L3 in the switches ) and black from ceiling rose to the black ( L2 to L2 in the switches ) it should work.

thanks bernard, but will have to wait till morn as its too dark now lol
will let you know how it went

gg1a said:

HANG ON

I miss read the original post and jumped in too quickly. Thought you had grey , black brown from both switches and a red black pair from the ceiling rose.

As the junction box is only extending the switch cable you need to connect L3 to L3, L2 to L2 and common to common. So find which colour goes to which terminal in the switch you are not moving. Then connect the colour in the junction box to achieve L3 to L3, L2 to L2 and common to common.

( reminder to engage brain before keyboard )

davy_owen_88 said:
I think that even in Scotland junction boxes have to be accessible, where have you put it?

The JB is in Scotland, but the switches are in England... ;)

As long as you move the decimal point one place to the right... ;)

bernardgreen said:
gg1a said:

HANG ON

I miss read the original post and jumped in too quickly. Thought you had grey , black brown from both switches and a red black pair from the ceiling rose.

As the junction box is only extending the switch cable you need to connect L3 to L3, L2 to L2 and common to common. So find which colour goes to which terminal in the switch you are not moving. Then connect the colour in the junction box to achieve L3 to L3, L2 to L2 and common to common.

( reminder to engage brain before keyboard )

i am replacing the 2 pull switches with 2 light switches and where the pull switch connection was ...replacing with junction box
i already have brown \common ..,,grey /L2.....yellow /L3
in both switches ..they are both connected the same at switch and at box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back