777 down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TractorTom....

Remember if you will the harrier jump jet ( this is the jet which can hover )

Imagine it hovering over the conveyor belt, at any time it can rotate its nozzles and shoot forward.

Now imagine it lowers its under carriage and lets its wheels touch the conveyor, so the wheels are now free wheeling, it will still shoot forward once the nozzles are rotated.

Remember jets thrust against air, not conveyor belts

Sponsored Links
i dont mean to be rude to anyone but it is hard to see how anybody can actually think the plane wont take off.

if i were able to pull the plane via a rope with my feet off of the conveyer the plane would move forward. the wheels and conveyer would do what ever they wanted. the conveyer could spin the wheels at 100mph but that would make no difference if i kept on pulling.

rolling resistance might make a difference if i was pulling it but then i am not a strong as an areo engine. :oops:

instead of a conveyer think of a plane on the ice at the north pole.
the skids/skis play no part in the powering of the plane. it is purely the engine which make it move.

i dont mean to be rude to anyone but i do think people are thinking too hard about it.

im not one for experts as such because todays experts are tomorrows fools.. (flat earth) i like to try and make the problem real world cos it gives me summat to do while im on the bog but apart from the tyres going bang i cant see how it would not take off..

remember in this that the drive' of the plane is totally independent of the conveyer..

ps
dont lock the thread, this is easy if you think a certain way but hard if your thinking is not mechanical.

Rather than simply post useless terse comments luke_vibert_uk why don't you attempt to explain to everyone why you think the aircraft won't move ... This should be REALLY interesting :rolleyes:

No point in getting "upitty" about it Megawatt...its just a bit of fun...I mean its not like we are out to prove anything is it?...or is it? :LOL:

If you really want to know...

Ground Speed
It is the sum of the aircraft's true airspeed and the current wind and weather conditions; a headwind subtracts from the ground speed, while a tailwind adds to it. Winds at other angles to the heading will have components of either headwind or tailwind as well as a crosswind...

Air Speed
Airspeed is the speed of an aircraft relative to the air. There are several different measures of airspeed: indicated airspeed, calibrated airspeed, equivalent airspeed and true airspeed. then of course you have Indicated, Equivelant and True...

You asked...you got the reply.

Lets not close the thread just because someone is questioning your intelegence Megawatt....or is that why you want it locked? :LOL: ;)

I'll post a seperate reply re: the aircraft on the treadmill in a second post...

Sponsored Links
AtoZ said:
it is hard to see how anybody can actually think the plane wont take off.
I don't align with that. Your final observation was correct - if you're not used to thinking in terms of mechanics, or physics, then you can easily have the wrong intuitive grasp of the relative forces involved.

Plenty of people don't immediately understand that the friction at the wheels, acting on the plane, is minute in comparison with the thrust from the engine(s). Those people, faced with the words "exactly matches" are duped into thinking that the speed of the wheels causes that friction to become more than negligible.

The difficulty is how to convey to those people, without giving at least some education in how to calculate the relative forces involved, just how plain (pardon the pun) the answer is. That's where ban-all-sheds' analogy (with the hand) was excellent, but still failed to convince the most stubborn and closed-minded non-believers.

im not one for experts as such because todays experts are tomorrows fools.. (flat earth) i like to try and make the problem real world cos it gives me summat to do while im on the bog

I dont think you are taking this seriously enough :LOL:

Luke_vibert_uk wrote:
Ground Speed
It is the sum of the aircraft's true airspeed and the current wind and weather conditions; a headwind subtracts from the ground speed, while a tailwind adds to it. Winds at other angles to the heading will have components of either headwind or tailwind as well as a crosswind...
:eek: Not when it's on the ground ... Oh dear

Lets not close the thread just because someone is questioning your intelegence Megawatt
If anyone is going to question my intelligence I'd hope it would be someone who could actually spell it. :rolleyes:

Are you sure you're not simply posting to take the p***?

Why is your username prefixed with UK? PLEASE don't tell me there are any more of you in the World :LOL:

MW

They say that both engines packed in on approach, well until they find the reasons, would you travel on a 777?
Since it is one bad landing out of the many thousands of normal landings by 777s then my answer would be yes.
Does anyone know the criteria according to which the airline, or BAA, will ground all 777s?

Pending the publication of the final report, is there a dialogue between the AAIB and the airline/BAA to which the public is not privy?

Luke_vibert_uk wrote:

Lets not close the thread just because someone is questioning your intelegence Megawatt
If anyone is going to question my intelligence I'd hope it would be someone who could actually spell it. :rolleyes:

Why is your username prefixed with UK? PLEASE don't tell me there are any more of you in the World :LOL:

MW

Don't you mean suffixed ? :LOL:

im not one for experts as such because todays experts are tomorrows fools.. (flat earth) i like to try and make the problem real world cos it gives me summat to do while im on the bog

m8 this one is easy for me but its not for everybody.
i have two kids, a girl straight A student who is just going to uni and a spotty oik of a son.
i asked them the question and he got it right quickly and easily between 15yr old grunts.
she got it wrong and was willing to row with the boy over it.
she is brighter than me or my son but she couldnt see it at all.

you will be proved wrong luke and it will come to you soon, i just dont want you embarrassed when it does.:oops:
its good to have a think about something 'extra' and just cos mega can see this easily im sure he would say that he might not see the next problem set for us.

two teenage kids, the bog is peace and quiet :D

i'll wait for discovery tele to tell me what happened to this 777.

im cynical of what we will be told in the shorter term. too much money involved.

MW

If the only value you can add to the forum is to point out the mistakes made by other people, and shout "lock the thread" when someone questions you, does that not really defeat the point of you contributing to the forum and devalue your input...?

I am not "taking the pi$$" as you put it, I am adding my input into what I consider a "bit of fun".

If your life is made so much better by using a internet forum to take pot shots at people hiding behind a moniker because it aids you anonimaty from the outside world...you are a very sad individual.

My life has a lot more interesting things going on in it, so I dont need to sit on a forum 24/7 getting excited about ...sorry lets re-phrase that... get worried...about someone questioning my knowledge on an Internet forum...

so to re-iterate MW...Get over it....its just a bit of fun and it's not as if your life or career (if you have one) depends on it.

m8 this one is easy for me but its not for everybody.
i have two kids, a girl straight A student who is just going to uni and a spotty oik of a son.
i asked them the question and he got it right quickly and easily between 15yr old grunts.
she got it wrong and was willing to row with the boy over it.
she is brighter than me or my son but she couldnt see it at all.

you will be proved wrong luke and it will come to you soon, i just dont want you embarrassed when it does.:oops:
its good to have a think about something 'extra' and just cos mega can see this easily im sure he would say that he might not see the next problem set for us.

two teenage kids, the bog is peace and quiet :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong and quite happily say "I'm Wrong"...You dont get anywhere in life if you dont question what is put infront of you.... after all I've picked this up miles off the pace of the thread...

others arnt so able to accept that and go into Attack Mode...

It is quite clear that Megamouth and a few others have failed to understand the original question and the constraints imposed therein!

in fairness luke
mega is ok, its just that this was a 17 page thread elsewhere and i think that it was done to death.
i do agree that this is only a bit of fun.

right or wrong m8, to me , i just want you and others to be able to see' it how i do.
im sure on the next thread i'll learn summat from you.

i can see you in tesco's now trying out on their conveyers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back