A "Combined Customs Territory"

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Definitely not a Customs Union.

It doesn't have the word "Union" in it.

So obviously it's quite different.

Sponsored Links
The first and most obvious point on which the EU will object, is that it gives access to 'The Customs Union' without paying for membership of the club, i.e. backdoor membership which Barnier has already warned against.

So expect a membership fee to be part of the final agreement.

I suspect also that the EU will insist on closer agreement towards the free movement of people, but maybe not the whole caboodle. Although, it will look very much like what it is now, if the UK applied the rules that they have always been allowed to apply, but never did. Preferring instead to blame the EU.

There may also be some requirement on accepting some of the EU rules, not entailed in tariffs or regulations, e.g. quotas, VAT (perhaps to avoid smuggling over an invisible border)

Theresa says there will be a "mobility framework" that will ensure UK and EU citizens can continue to travel to each other's territories and apply for study and work

However it won't be called "freedom of movement" that gives the right to travel for study and work.

It'll be interesting to see what other things she plans to abolish and re-introduce with a different name.

The gammons will be bursting with apoplectic rage.

"The jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice will end but the UK will pay regard to its decisions in areas where common rules are in force"

I wonder if she thinks she'll get EU agreement to saying "we'll obey the rules when we feel like it"

Sponsored Links
Brexit stinks. A lot and i mean a lot of people voted leave under the completely false premise that we would once again be able to control immigration. Turns out we already had all the tools to do that. The rest... leave it out... it's rubbish. So c'mon gov do the right thing come up with some awful half baked plan, present the facts and i mean facts to the uk population and lets have an referendum on the final deal. I would bet my last penny as to which way that would go.

As the British cabinet has now 'agreed' a Brexit proposal. Will Theresa May take the 'No Deal' route if the proposal is rejected by the EU?

her draft is only the basis on which negotiations can now start.

Not having established the aims and objectives of the UK government until yesterday means that there has not been serious discussion or negotiation so far, so we have wasted two years.

I believe Parliament has managed to get back the authority to accept, or otherwise, the result of the talks. Theresa wanted to take away the supremacy of Parliament and give power to whoever might be in government at the time. Which nobody knows.

edit
here we are
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/eu-withdrawal-bill-amendments-and-debates

_102426591_ae48cb1f-de1a-4f13-a9e7-6686be56d2e2.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44751167
"Michael Gove's support for Theresa May's plan may have given Eurosceptic's more reason to suspect him
One minister said: 'He pulled the rug from under Boris and DD's feet." Another said: "He was the decisive voice."

But who will believe it?

The Red lines have been blurred. If this is a starting point it will be the softest of soft Brexits or a total collapse of talks and a hard brexit.

Boris castigated the plan and called it a turd, then said he supported it.

He's had more than two years to think of something better, and hasn't done.

If he can't think of a Brexit better than a turd, maybe it wasn't such a great idea. He's a moaner and a complainer, not a builder or an improver.

Have Gove and the other noisy Quitters thought of something better? Or have they just been sniping from the back seat?

I'm having trouble understanding the Cabinet's logic or sense. Do they have any?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44749993

These are the things that can, and we want to, stay the same with the EU when we leave - ABCD etc.

They obviously think ABCD etc. is better than "no deal" (otherwise, why bother?) so - if the EU does not accept ABCD etc, then the UK will just leave with "no deal".

No compromise? Just do these things we want when leaving or we will leave without these things being done.

Yeah, right, ok Theresa. Anything you say.

if the EU does not accept ABCD etc, then the UK will just have to consider ABC and half a D, or whatever other options are available.

Parliament may, or may not, consider that to be better than coming away with nothing.

The citizens of UK may, or may not, consider jumping off the cliff edge to be better than the deal we had as members of the EU.

It's no use ignoring these facts.

the referendum didn't offer the choice of a hard or soft Brexit. Prior to the vote the leading campaigners (falsely) claimed that it would be easy to get a favourable deal.

So whatever we get will be "the will of (some of) the people."

the referendum didn't offer the choice of a hard or soft Brexit. Prior to the vote the leading campaigners (falsely) claimed that it would be easy to get a favourable deal.

So whatever we get will be "the will of (some of) the people."
That is the nub of the saying "the will of some of the people", and only just over half!
The deal is supposed to unite the nation. The only way it can do that is satisfy the vast majority of the people.
The only way it can do that is the most softest of Brexit possible, or BRINO.

Sponsored Links
Back